The JSU Police Department routinely conducts educational programs for both students and employees to help prevent rape, acquaintance rape, and forcible and non-forcible sex offenses. The following are some of the programs conducted by the department:
• Safety and security programs during freshman orientation
• Sexual assault programs for groups of students throughout the year, concentrating on student residences
• Self defense and avoidance courses
• Alcohol and drug awareness programs
• Generalized safety and security programs, concentrating on the residences, fraternities, and sororities
• Other personal protection programs designed for traveling faculty and staff.