If you believe that a student or other person is in possession of a weapon:
- Note all physical characteristics, i.e. race, height, hair color, clothing.
- Call JSU Police Department at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000 and explain the problem in detail.
- Leave the immediate area.
- Remove students and yourself from any danger, if possible.
- If you fear the person, barricade yourself and other students in a room away from the person.
- If anyone becomes injured or needs medical attention, notify the police dispatcher, if possible.
- Do not confront the armed person unless you have no choice; this should be your last resort.
- Remain in a safe area until told by police or emergency responders that it is safe to leave.
Last Updated: 2011