Many times, problems with the utilities will not be an emergency. To report a non-emergency utility problem, call the University Physical Plant at ext. 5450 or 256-782-5450. However, if it is an emergency, call JSU Police Department at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000.
Under no circumstances are you to turn utilities back on once they have been turned off (even if you are the one who turned them off). Leave that for the utility workers.
- If you smell gas or see a gas leak, leave the area and warn others as you leave.
- Call the JSU Police Department at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000 from a safe location. Tell the dispatcher where you are and what the emergency is.
- Do NOT attempt to correct the leak or problem unless you are qualified to do so.
- Provide assistance to others in your immediate area that may be unfamiliar with the area or evacuation routes.
- Remain outside until emergency personnel tell you it is safe to enter the building.
WATER LEAK and POWER FAILURE (Non-Emergency Failures)
- Report non-emergency water leaks and power failures to the University Physical Plant at ext. 5450 or 256-782-5450.
- Shut down and protect critical equipment, if it is safe to do so.
- If you are in a dark area, proceed cautiously to an area that has emergency lighting.
- Call the JSU Police Department at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000 to report the location of downed wires.
- Treat any downed wire as if it is energized.
- Telephone or cable television wires that are touching a power line could become energized and should also be avoided.
- Stay clear of areas where there is a lot of debris or downed trees, as they may conceal energized lines.
Last Updated: 2011