If Medical Attention is Needed
- REMAIN CALM.
- Call the University Police at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000 and report the emergency. Request that an ambulance be sent.
- Send someone to meet the EMS and rescue crews at the street.
- Do not move the person unless there is a threat to life to leave them in that location.
- Provide as much information to the dispatcher regarding the illness/injury as possible (nature of injury, location of person, age of person, symptoms, etc.).
- If trained to administer first aid, such as bleeding control and CPR, do so.
- Be sure to wear personal protective equipment. Be aware of hazards associated with blood-borne pathogens.
- Do not come into contact with body fluids.
- If exposed to suspected infectious materials, wash the exposed area thoroughly with soap and water and seek medical attention.
- Do not jeopardize your health or the health of the patient. Wait for professional help if you are not able to provide proper first aid and safety.
- Remain with the party until help arrives.
- Comfort the patient and reassure them that medical assistance is on the way.
- If the medical emergency is related to an on-the-job injury or a visitor injury/accident, notify JSU Office of Human Resources at ext. 5007 or 256-782-5007 of this incident as soon as possible after the victim has been transported by the ambulance.
Last Updated: 2011