EXIT THE AREA IMMEDIATELY
- Close all doors as you leave, taking keys and medications with you, if possible. DO NOT delay evacuation to retrieve these items.
- Activate the closest fire alarm pull station along your evacuation route.
- Notify others as you leave.
- Call the JSU Police Department at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000 and report the emergency after you are out of the building and safe.
- If the fire is small enough, you may attempt to extinguish it with a portable fire extinguisher, ONLY IF:
- The fire alarm pull station has been activated
- The University Police has been notified at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000
- You are properly trained
- If leaving a room, feel the door with the back of your hand before opening it. Do not open any door that feels hot.
- If smoke is present, stay low. The best quality air is near the floor.
- Always use the stairs to exit upper floors.
- DO NOT use the elevator.
- Once the building is evacuated, do not re-enter it for any reason. Return to the building ONLY when instructed to do so by emergency responders or administrators.
- DO NOT return for personal belongings.
- Direct and assist visitors and persons with disabilities who appear to need direction or assistance.
- Call the JSU Police Department at (256) 782-6000 and tell them that a fire has occurred AFTER you exit the building.
IF YOU ARE TRAPPED AND CANNOT EVACUATE
- Close any doors between you and the fire.
- If available, wedge wet towels or cloth materials along the bottom of the door to keep out smoke.
- Call the JSU Police Department at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000 and notify the dispatcher of your location.
- Remain on the phone with the dispatcher as long as possible.
- Break a window only as a last resort, such as needing oxygen to breathe.
- Use caution when breaking any window.
RESPONSE TO FIRE ALARMS
- If the alarm sounds and/ or emergency strobes begin to blink, evacuate immediately.
- NEVER assume that a fire alarm is a false alarm.
Last Updated: 2011