What to Do in the Event of a Campus Emergency
Emergencies can occur at any time, often without warning. This site can help you deal with many emergency situations appropriately. Your judgment often determines whether an incident is an emergency. If in doubt, err on the side of safety.
JSU has its own police department and utilizes the City of Jacksonville for fire and ambulance services. Call 911 for emergencies or 256-782-8888 for questions or 8888 if you are on campus.
Five emergency call boxes have been installed in the following locations around campus. When the receiver is picked up, the phones at University Police are activated. Call boxes are equipped with a blue light for identification. See below for location.
- When you call 911 for emergency services, stay on the line and give the following information:
- Your name, telephone number and exact location.
- The location of the emergency.
- The nature and extent of the emergency (i.e., are there injuries, how many, etc.)
- Be informed and prepared in advance. Do not wait until an emergency strikes to know what to do.
- Be aware of your surroundings, and report any suspicious activities.
- Know where the fire alarm activation pull stations are located in your building and how to evacuate your building if the alarm is set off.
Call Boxes via Radio:
Questions or suggestions regarding the procedures and response on campus should be directed to the Director of Public Safety at 256-782-8888.
Last Updated: 2017