If a person enters or threatens to enter the building for the purpose of causing physical violence either to persons or property you should do the following:
- Call the JSU Police Dept. at ext. 6000 or 256-782-6000 immediately; explain to the dispatcher what is happening.
- Be sure to provide good directions to the dispatcher.
- If safe, stay on the phone with the 911 dispatcher as long as possible.
- Remove students and yourself from any danger if possible, or barricade yourself and students in a room away from the intruder.
- If anyone becomes injured or needs medical attention, tell the dispatcher.
- Use caution when confronting any person; this should be done as a last resort.
- Do not leave your safe position until told to do so by police or emergency responders.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS IN DISTRESS
If you are aware of a distressed student and are concerned about their well being, please call these resources for help:
Please visit http://www.readyhoustontx.gov/ to view videos concerning active threats and disaster preparedness.
Last Updated: 2012