Law Enforcement's Duties to Victims
Within 72 hours after reporting a crime, the local enforcement agency assisting you will provide the following at your request:
- A list of local emergency and crisis services available.
- The name and telephone number of the agency and officer handling your incident.
- The name and telephone number of the prosecuting attorney.
- The procedural steps in a criminal prosecution.
- The availability of victim's compensation benefits.
- A listing of your rights as a victim, including a form to invoke these rights.
- The existence of and eligibility requirements for restitution and compensation.
- A recommended procedure if you are subject to threats or intimidation as a victim.