Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Office: 207-D Martin Hall
Telephone: (256) 782-5223
Fax Number: (256) 782-5336
Physical and Earth Sciences
Jacksonville State University
Jacksonville, AL 36265
B.S. in Chemistry Jacksonville State University (1997)
Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry University of Alabama (2004)
Dissertation: Surface Science I. Quinones on Metals. II 2,4-Pentanedione on -Al2O3/NiAl (100).
1. Corrosion Studies of Polymer Coatings
2. Synthesis of Quinone monomers and quinine containing polymers
3. Identification of mechanism for the decrease in the rate of corrosion process of iron coated with amine-quinone and sulfur quinine monomers by X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) and Reflectance Absorption Infrared Spectroscopy (RAIRS) in which the electron donation through from the antibonding orbitals of the carbonyl group reduces the iron surface.
4. Physical measurements of amine-quinone and sulfur-quinone polymers involving advanced corrosion studies by EIS, as well as glass transition and decomposition temperatures by DSC.
1. Surface Studies of 2,5-bis(N,N'-dimethyl)-1,4-benzoquinone on iron, copper, and aluminum, Michael J. Campbell and Andrew B. Helms, J. Undergrad. Chem. Res., 2009, 8(3), pp. 85.
2. Surface Studies of 2,4-Pentanedione on -Al2O3/NiAl (100) and NiAl (100), Andrew B. Helms, James Burgess, & Shane C. Street, Surface Science. Accepted September 2009.
3. Sulfur-quinone polyurethanes and the protecntion of iron against corrosion By Hu, Yongqi; Helms, A. Brent; Nikles, David E.; Sharma, Rahul; Street, Shane C.; Warren, Garry W.; Yang, Dehua From ACS Symposium Series (2003), 843(Electroactive Polymers for Corrosion Control), 168-174. Language: English, Database: CAPLUS
4. Amine-Quinone polymers and the protection of iron particles against corrosion. Han, Mijeong; Helms, Andrew B.; Hu, Yongqi; Nikles, David E.; Nikles, Jaqueline A.; Sharma, Rahul; Street, Shane C.; Warren, Gary W. IEEE Transactions of Magnetics (1999), 35(5, Pt. I), 2763-2765.
5. Amine-quinone polymers: A new class of corrosion resistant coatings. Bie, Huimin; Han, Mijeong; Helms, A. Brent; Warren, Gary W.; Nikles, David E.; Street, Shane C. Polymer Preprints (American Chemistry Society, Department of polymer Chemistry) (2000), 41(2), 1780-1781
6. Analysis of the amine-quinone molecule. Helms, A. B., Street, S. C. Interface: Journal of the Alabama Supercomputer Center and the Alabama Research and Education. May 1999. 7.2. 4-6