Physical and Earth Sciences
Jacksonville State University
Jacksonville, AL 36265
M.Sc. University of Warsaw (NMR and IR studies of ethylmethylsulfoxide complexes with transition metals) (1973).
Ph.D. Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences. (Theory of electronic processes in disordered systems with short-range correlations.) (1978)
1993-1997 Visiting Research Professor, Arizona State University
1989-1993 Visiting Associate Professor, Texas A&M University
1981-1983 Postdoctoral Research Associate, James Franck Institute, Univ. of Chicago
1. Synthesis and properties of open-framework structures, such as silicon, germanium, and water clathrates. See crystal structure of Si136 clathrate at:
2. Synthesis of copper and silver-based anti-perovskities.
3. Density functional calculations of electronic, optical, and transport properties of semi-conductors and semimetals.
4. Solid-state NMR.
Building scientific instrumentation from scratch.
1. Synthesis and characterization of framework-substituted Cs8Na16Cu5Ge131, M. Beekman, J. A. Kaduk, J. Gryko, W. Wong-Ng, A. Shapiro, and G.S. Nolas, J. Alloys and Com-pounds, 470, 365 (2009).
2. Charge transfer in silicon clathrates studied by Compton scattering, M. Volmer, C. Sternemann, J. S. Tse, T. Buslaps, N. Hiraoka, C. L. Bull, J. Gryko, P.F. McMillan, M.Paulus, and M. Tolan, Phys. Rev. B 76, 233104 (2007).
3. Thermal properties of Si136: Theoretical and experimental study of type-II clathrate poly-morph of Si, X. Tang, J. Dong, P. Hutchins, O. Shebanova, J. Gryko, P. Barnes, J. K. Cockroft, M. Visckers, and P. F. McMillan, Phys. Rev. B74, 014109 (2006).
4. Electron Structure and Temperature Dependent Shifts in 133Cs NMR Spectrum of Cs8Ge136 Clathrate. J. Gryko, R. F. Marzke, G. A. Lamberton, Jr., T.M. Tritt, M. Beek-man and G.S. Nolas, Phys. Rev. B, 71, 115208 (2005).
5. Amorphous and nanocrystalline luminescent Si and Ge obtained via a solid-state chemical metathesis synthesis route, P. F. McMillan, J. Gryko, C. Bull, R. Arledge, A. J. Keyon, and B. A. Cressey, J. Solid State Chem. 178, 937 (2005).
6. Thermal conductivity of elemental crystalline silicon clathrate Si136. G. S. Nolas, M. Beekman, J. Gryko, G. A. Lamberton, Jr., T. M. Tritt, and P. F. McMillan, App. Phys. Lett. 82, 910 (2003).
7. Raman scattering study of stoichiometric Si and Ge type II clathrates. G. S. Nolas, C. A. Kendziora, J. Gryko, J. Dong, Ch. W. Myles, A. Poddar, and O. F. Sankey, J. App. Phys. 92, 7255 (2002).
8. Transport properties of Na8Si46. G. S. Nolas, J.-M. Ward, J. Gryko, L. Qiu, and M. A. White, Phys. Rev. B 64, 153201 (2001).
9. Low-density framework form of crystalline silicon with a wide optical band gap. J. Gryko, P. F. McMillan, R. F. Marzke, G. K. Ramachandran, D. Patton, S. K. Deb, and O. F. Sankey, Phys. Rev. B 62, R7707 (2000).
10. High pressure transformation of the silicon clathrate Si136. G.K. Ramachandran, P.F. McMillan, S. K. Deb, M. Somayazulu, J. Gryko, J. Dong, and O. F. Sankey, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 12, 4013 (2000).