Jump Start a Healthier You in 2014 Through Scale Back Alabama
Scale Back Alabama is a 10-week program to encourage Alabamians to lose weight and exercise more. Teams of four people will compete to see if all team members can lose at least 10 pounds or about one pound per week. Prizes may be won based on individual and team weight loss. To be eligible for the statewide prizes, you must weigh in at JSU Wellness Center (Pete Mathews Coliseum) January 21-24 and weigh out during the week of April 7-10. To ensure fairness, there are a few guidelines for the contest, so please read the attached sheet.
Research shows that the most success at losing weight comes when people: increase their activity level; reduce their total number of calories; and adopt behaviors that promote healthy eating. All these things are challenging to do, but well worth the effort. To help you with your lifestyle changes, you will receive a weekly health tip with a link to more information on the Scale Back Alabama Web site. We hope you’ll use these tips as you and your team create your new healthy habits.
JSU Wellness Center ( 2nd Floor, Pete Mathews Coliseum) weigh-in times:
- Tuesday, January 21- 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 22- 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m
- Thursday, January 23- 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m
- Friday, January 24- 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m
Good luck as you embark on this exciting 10-week journey to better health! If you have any questions, please visit www.scalebackalabama.com or call Gina Mabrey at ext. 5114.
Information About Prizes
Team prizes for the 2014 contest will be announced during a webcast on April 25. Individual prizes will be posted on the Scale Back Alabama website about two hours after the conclusion of the webcast.
- To be eligible for team prizes, each team member must lose at least 10 pounds during the 10-week contest, as recorded by a coordinator at an official Scale Back Alabama weigh-in site.
- Winning teams are determined by a random drawing from all eligible teams.
- The first team drawn wins $1,000 per team member, or a total of $4,000 for the entire team.
- The second team drawn wins $500 per team member, or a total of $2,000 for the entire team.
- The third team drawn wins $250 per team member, or a total of $1,000 for the entire team.
- All individuals who lose at least 10 pounds, as recorded by a coordinator at an official Scale Back Alabama weigh-in site, are eligible for an individual prize, regardless of their team's achievement. However, individuals that are drawn for a team prize, are not eligible to win the individual prizes.
- From the pool of eligible contestants, 50 individuals drawn win one of 50 achievement prizes of $100 per person.
- The individual prize drawings are conducted following a webcast announcing team prizes and are posted on the Scale Back Alabama website approximately two hours after the conclusion of the webcast.
Prizes For Anyone Who Loses Weight
- All individuals who lose at least one pound, as recorded by a coordinator at a Scale Back Alabama weigh-in site, are eligible for a prize, regardless of their team's achievement. However, individuals who are drawn for a team prize and one of the individual prizes, are not eligible to win these prizes.
- From the pool of eligible contestants, five individuals drawn win one of five prizes of $50 per person.