Electronic Resources and Databases for Distance Learning Nursing Students
See Electronic Databases for Medicine, Health, and Nursing
Accessing Electronic Resources
- Database Access for Off-Campus Computers
- If you are currently enrolled in classes at Jacksonville State University, you can access the library's databases from your home computer. Access is granted through an authentication application called EZproxy, and requires the user to sign in. Directions and troubleshooting advice are found here.
- Databases for Nursing
- Electronic periodical databases of particular interest to nursing students are linked here, including CINAHL Plus Full Text and Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition. Guidelines to help you decide whether you have found a scholarly journal are available here. If you still aren't sure, check the University of Texas at San Antonio Library's Scholarly Journal v. Popular Magazine Articles page.
- Course reserves are available electronically from the JSU Library Home page. Your computer must have the correct viewer software to access the files. Details on how to access and print E-reserve items are also available. For frequently asked questions about Reserves, click here.
- APA Citation Style: Examples for Nursing Students
- From the College of St. Benedict/St. John's University, this page provides examples for citing many different types of materials from the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 5th edition. (Print copy is on reserve in the library, BF 76.7 .P83 2001.)
Distance Education Services
Evaluating Internet Sites
- Distance Education Services
- This Houston Cole Library Web page is an excellent starting point for those with any questions about what services are available for distance education students.
Library Catalog Information
- Catalog Introduction
- An interactive tutorial for the Library's Voyager online catalog with opportunities for practice searching. The tutorial provides a look at methods to make searching more efficient, including title, keyword, and subject searches for books and journal titles.
- Renew a Book
- This page explains how to use the online catalog, from the Internet, to renew a library book checked out to you.
- Who to ask
- For questions regarding Distance Education or electronic access, contact Yingqi Tang, the Distance Education Librarian/Electronic Resources Manager.
- For assistance with Library resources, contact Paula Barnett-Ellis, the Health/Sciences Librarian.
Library Home Page
- Houston Cole Library Web Page
- A good starting point to find library resources is the Library's Home Page. From here, you can access the catalog, the periodical databases, and much more. Also, you will find links to the resources listed here. If you can't find exactly what you need, "Search this Site" searches only the Library Web site.
Starting Library Research
- Researching Your Topic
- This page presents step by step methods to help streamline library research. Tips include how to identify your subject, test searching to see if you can find enough information, ways to search for specific resources, and how to locate items. Help with Research Tools may be found here.
Virtual Library Tour
- Virtual Tour (Coming Soon!)
- A detailed look at each floor and the resources available. Come in and look around.