Common Problems with Electronic Course Reserves
Please select the problem from the following list:
NOTE: You must have cookies enabled to access the course reserves remotely.
Where are my documents?
- The current version of the software opens the document in a new window. Please refer to the task bar at the bottom of the screen to find the document.
Site Not Found
- If you receive an error message stating "Site Not Found" or "Page Not Found", contact the Reserve Department immediately. This error message indicates that the link is wrong or incomplete. We will need to fix it in order to allow access.
- If you try to retrieve a reserve but the document never appears, you may need to clear your cache or temporary files in order to retrieve the item. Please go to our Clearing Cache/Temporary Files document for detailed instructions.
Mirror Image Printing, or Printing Only Every Other Page
- Sometimes we see a "mirror image" problem in printing - a page prints in reverse and can be read only by holding it up to a mirror, OR only every other page prints. The solution is to click the File option in the menu at the top of the browser to retrieve the drop down menu, and click on the Print option within that menu box. Once the menu box appears, click in the box next to the "Print As Image" option to enable it. (See image below for example.)
- Sometimes the item's pages are scanned so that a good portion of them are outside of the printable margin. To eliminate this printing problem, click the File option in the menu at the top of the browser to retrieve the drop down menu. Next, click the Print option within that menu box. Once the Print menu options appears, select "Shrink oversized pages to paper size". It is also recommend selecting "Expand small pages to paper size", "Auto-rotate and center pages" and "Print as image". You may need to upgrade to acrobat 5.0.5 to get these options. (See images below for examples.)
Adobe Acrobat 5.0
Printing Blank Pages
- Sometimes several blank pages are printed instead of the course reserve. This general happens if the journal is small. This means that the article's pages are not the standard 8 1/2 by 11 size. To eliminate this printing problem, click the File option in the menu at the top of the browser to retrieve the drop down menu. Next, click the Print option within that menu box. Once the Print menu options appears, click in the box next to the option that will fit the document to a full page. This option indicates "Fit to Page" in Adobe Acrobat 4.0, but indicates "Expand Small Pages to Paper Size" in Adobe Acrobat 5.0. (See images below for examples.)
Adobe Acrobat 4.0
Adobe Acrobat 5.0
- Some of the reserve items have pages using different orientations. Normally, this means the first page of the document can be printed normally, but the remaining pages will have to be printed using the landscape orientation. If you have a page that has a layout problem, click the "Pages from" option in the Print Range section of the Print menu box. Then enter the page number to get a preview of that page's layout. (See image below for example.) If the preview image indicates, change the printer properties.
- This is done by clicking on the File option in the menu at the top of the browser to retrieve the drop down menu and clicking on the Properties box next to the Printer Name indicator to retrieve another menu box. In the Properties menu box, there is an Orientation box with two options: portrait and landscape. Click in the circle next to landscape and click the Apply button. This will close that box and retrieve the Print menu box. Click the OK button to print the page(2) using the landscape orientation.
Plug In Did Not Initialize Correctly
- If you get this message after being authorized and clicking on the accept button, we would suggest setting the acrobat Edit/Preferences/Options to turn off "Display PDF in Browser" and "Check Browser Settings When Starting Acrobat". This will spawn Acrobat as a separate application rather than trying to open the document in the browser window. If that does not solve the problem, please contact the Library at (256) 782-8034 or
Not Authorized Message
- If you are an authorized JSU user (student, faculty, and/or staff), you should be an authorized user. If you receive an error message stating that you are not authorized, there could be a couple of reasons: you may have an older version of Acrobat or you may have a firewall issue. The solutions are:
- Acrobat: Make sure you have the proper version of Acrobat (go here to download the most current version)
- Firewall: If you are trying to access the reserves from a school other than JSU, your school may have firewalls that strip the referrer field. You will need to contact the school's technical person for more information.
- Another reason this could happen is if you do not have your settings correct and cookies are not enabled. You must have cookies enabled to access the course reserves remotely.
If you have other questions or problems, contact the Reserve Department.
Revised 2/2/2015: J. Poe