The United States Government provides information on a wealth of topics, and much of this information is now available via the Internet. Look below to browse online federal government information by branch, or use the menu bar at the right to link to agencies and government search tools.
- The White House:
- The Obama Administration:
- Other Executive Branch Resources:
- Budget of the United States Government
- Economic Report of the President
- The Federal Register -- The official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as executive orders and other presidential documents.
- Public Papers of the President of the United States -- Each Public Papers volume contains the papers and speeches of the President of the United States that were issued by the Office of the Press Secretary during the specified time period. Volumes are currently available online for Presidents George H.W. Bush, Clinton, and George W. Bush. Volumes covering the administrations of Presidents Hoover, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan are available in print and can be found through the Library's catalog.
- State of the Union Addresses -- Available for the administrations of George Herbert Walker Bush, William Jefferson Clinton, and George Walker Bush.
- Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents -- Published every Monday and is the official publication of presidential statements, messages, remarks, and other materials released by the White House Press Secretary. Available online from 1992 forward.
- The U.S. Congress:
- House of Representatives
- History of Bills -- The History of Bills from 1983 to the present. For information on bills predating this period, use the print Congressional Record and Congressional Record Index, which can be located using the Library catalog.
- Congressional Bills Database -- All published versions of bills from the 103rd (1993-1994) Congress forward.
- Congressional Record and Congressional Record Index --The Congressional Record is the official record of the proceedings and debates of the United States Congress, and volume 140 (1994) to the present are available online. Congressional Record Index issues from 1983 to the present are available online. Earlier volumes of both publications are available in print and can be located using the Library catalog.
- House Journal --Available online from 1992-1999. Historic issues (1789-1875) are available online through the Library of Congress American Memory website.
- Public and Private Laws --Contains laws enacted from the 104th to the present Congresses. For earlier laws, see the Statutes at Large.
- United States Code --The United States Code is the codification by subject matter of the general and permanent laws of the United States, and is published every six years. The 1994-2000 editions are available online.
- Other Legislative Branch Resources
- Thomas: Legislative Information on the Internet--A collection of searchable databases containing many different types of legislative information.
- General Accounting Office
- Code of Federal Regulations -- The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the executive departments and agencies of the Federal Government.
- GPO Access Legislative Branch Resources Webpage
- The Supreme Court of the United States:
- Supreme Court Justices (1789-present)
- History of the Supreme Court
- Case Dockets -- The complete history of cases heard by the Supreme Court.
- Journal of the Supreme Court -- Contains the official minutes of the Court, and is available online for volumes from 1993-2004.
- Recent Supreme Court Decisions
- Search Past Supreme Court Decisions -- 1937-1975 or 1992-forward
- Other Federal Courts:
- Understanding the Federal Judicial System
About the FDLP
Browse by Topic