Content Top Nav Left Nav Utility Nav Site Search
Mobile Menu


More Links

J1 Scholars

The exchange of professors and research scholars promotes the exchange of ideas, research, mutual enrichment and linkages between research and academic institutions in the United States and foreign countries.


The professor category is for a foreign national who enters the United State for the primary purpose of teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting at accredited post-secondary academic institutions, museums, libraries or similar types of institutions. A professor may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsoring organization.


This category is for a foreign national who enters the United States for the primary purpose of conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with research projects at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions. A research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor. The research scholar or professor’s appointment to a position shall be temporary, even if the position itself is permanent.
Incidental lectures or short-term consultations are permitted with the approval of the responsible officer so long as they are directly related to the objectives of the participant’s program, and do not delay the exchange program’s completion date.

Sponsoring a J1 Scholar:

If the department is interested to sponsor J1 Scholars, they must follow the steps below:

Sponsors are required to:

  • Review J-1 Scholar Handbook. Click here
  • Screen and select qualified foreign nationals to further education, research and exchange initiatives;
  • Complete Department Proposal Form
  • Complete Visiting Scholar Agreement Form
  • Monitor the visitor’s stay in the United States, ensure that they are progressing in the work being performed or the research being conducted; and
  • Ensure that they are involved in cross-cultural programs where they can learn about the United States and its people.

Sponsors must ensure the following for participants:

Language Proficiency: The department will need to verify that participants have the education and credentials necessary to carry out the activity for which they are entering the United States and that they have sufficient proficiency in the English language to function in an English-speaking environment.

Compliance: The department will be responsible to ensure the professor/researcher/short-term scholar does what is stated he/she will would do while on campus.

Participants Need: The department will need to determine the needs of the individual, and whether or not those needs can be met.  This may include:

  • Access to classroom facilities associated with the research, time with faculty, access to materials, etc.
  • Office space, office supplies, etc.
  • On-campus/off-campus housing,
  • Access to library, gym, and other offices on campus
  • Transportation to and from the airport and transportation within Jacksonville

While the department is not responsible to provide everything, it would need to be made known to the professor/researcher/short-term scholar what JSU can and cannot provide and the professor/ researcher/ short-term scholar must accept this before arriving to avoid any issues that can affect the University.

J1 Scholar/Researcher Application form: The department will be responsible to ensure the professor/researcher/short-term scholar review J-1 Scholar Handbook and complete the APPLICATION FORM.

Issuance of DS2019: 

International House & Programs must receive following documents to be able to issue DS2019.

Proof of English Proficiency:

To provide documentation of English proficiency, JSU accepts any of the following verifications:

  • IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, or iTEP scores
  • Personal interview (face-to-face or electronic)
  • Certificate of completion of English study
  • Verification by JSU colleague
  •  Appropriate alternate means of verification.

Reporting to International House & Programs:

J1 Scholar/Researcher must report to the International House & programs as soon as they arrive on campus. They must bring:

  • Passport
  • I94
  • DS2019
  • Offer Letter from department

J1 records must be validated within 30 days from the start date listed on DS 2019. For validation, J1 Scholar/Researcher must submit the following information to the International House & Programs:

Dependents under J2 visas must also have insurance coverage as mandated by the Department of State.


Back to Top