Content Top Nav Left Nav Utility Nav Site Search
Mobile Menu


More Links


On Campus Employment:

F1/J1 Students may apply to on-campus job positions such as Student Worker (University Aid), Graduate Assistant and Resident Assistant. You may work only up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and up to 26 hours per week when school is not in session. When you are offered a position on campus, you must apply and obtain a Social Security Number and complete a New Hire packet in the Department of Human Resources.

For Social Security Number, you must go to the Social Security office with the following documents:

  • Job Offer Letter from department
  • Approval Letter from International House and Programs
  • I-20/DS2019
  • Valid passport with valid visa stamp
  • I-94 record

Social Security Office Location:  801 QUINTARD AVENUE ANNISTON, AL 36201

International House and Programs will need following documents to issue the Letter for Social Security Office:

  • Job Offer Letter from department
  • F1/J1 acknowledgement letter
    • F1/J1 acknowledgement letter - student form (click here)
    • F1/J1 acknowledgement letter - supervisor form (click here)

Off Campus Employment:

F1/J1 Students are not permitted to work off-campus unless the students apply and get approved for work authorization from USCIS. An F1 student may be authorized for off-campus employment due to severe, unforeseen economic necessity. The severe economic hardship employment authorization benefit is intended to address situations where a financial need beyond the student's control arises, which was unforeseen at the time the student applied to the school he or she is currently attending and after all other potential employment opportunities have proven to be insufficient.

Back to Top