The Psychology Department offers courses leading to the Master of Science degree in psychology. Included in the curriculum are a broad range of behaviorally focused courses. The purpose of this degree is to prepare students for careers in the application of behavior analytic techniques to the behavioral habilitation of diverse populations.
The Behavior Analyst Certification Board® (http://www.bacb.com/) has approved the following course sequence as meeting the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Examination®: PSY 511, PSY 521, PSY 528, PSY 529, and PSY 530. Applicants will have to meet additional experience requirements to qualify.
Required Application MaterialsApplicants for the MS with a major in psychology must submit all of the following documentation to the College of Graduate Studies, Jacksonville State University, 700 Pelham Road North, Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602, to be considered for admission:
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission
- Non-refundable $30.00 application processing fee
- Official transcript(s) from all postsecondary institutions attended
(students who have previously attended only JSU need not request a transcript from the university)
- Official scores on the General Test of the GRE taken within five years immediately preceding enrollmen
- Three (3) "Graduate Reference Forms" completed by individuals who can provide qualitative assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate course work
- A curriculum vitae including education, employment, and other applicable psychology-related experience/skills (e.g., practicum/research experience, presentations, publications)
- Letter of intent describing reasons for pursuing a master’s degree with a major in psychology at JSU
- If English is not the applicant's native language, the applicant is required to submit an official TOEFL score report, an IELTS score report or a PTE score report.
See the College of Graduate Studies website for forms and fee information. All items must be sent to the College of Graduate Studies, Jacksonville State University, 700 Pelham Road North, Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602. Applications are considered for admission for the fall semester only and all materials must be received in the College of Graduate Studies by August 1. Applications received before April 15 will be given priority consideration. Applications completed after August 1 will be considered for admission in the fall semester of the following year.
The Psychology Graduate Committee will evaluate each student’s undergraduate coursework and experience to determine which foundation courses are required in addition to graduate coursework. Although grades achieved in undergraduate foundation courses will not be included in the computation of the graduate GPA, students must earn a grade of B or better in each foundation course if taken after completion of their bachelor’s degree. Foundation courses must be completed during the first year of graduate study.
Undergraduate Foundation Courses:
PSY 201 Principles of Psychology
PSY 300 Statistics for Life Sciences
PSY 310 Research Methods
Plan of Study
|PSY 511||3||PSY 529||3||PSY 538||3|
|PSY 521||3||PSY 530||3|
|PSY 528||3||PSY 534||3|