The MA with a major in liberal studies is an interdisciplinary degree characterized by its flexibility. After being admitted to the College of Graduate Studies, the student and the faculty advisor will plan a program of study designed to meet the student’s specific needs. Courses must be selected from two or more academic disciplines. Electives approved by the advisor may be taken in any department offering graduate courses. Students will select courses from the following fields of study: anthropology; biology; criminal justice; drama; economics; emergency management; English; environmental science management; geography; geographical information systems, history; music; political science; and psychology.
Required Application Materials
Applicants for the MA with a major in liberal studies will be permitted to enroll for one semester of graduate course work while completing all other general application procedure requirements.
Applicants for the MA with a major in liberal studies must submit all of the following documentation to the College of Graduate Studies, Jacksonville State University, 700 Pelham Road North, Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602, to be considered for admission:
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission (http://www.jsu.edu/graduate/grad_app.html)
- Non-refundable $30.00 application processing fee
- Official transcripts(s) from all postsecondary institutions attended. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the University.)
- Official tests scores on the General Test of the GRE or the MAT (please refer to page 18 of this Bulletin).
- Three “Graduate Reference Forms” completed by individuals who can provide qualitative assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate course work. This form is available in the office of the College of Graduate Studies or online at http://www.jsu.edu/graduate/forms.html or http://www.jsu.edu/graduate/docs/ref_form.html.
- If English is not the applicant’s native language, the applicant is required to submit an official TOEFL score report, an IELTS score report or a PTE score report.
Applicants who meet general admission requirements to the College of Graduate Studies are eligible for admission to this program. A particular undergraduate major is not specified for admission to this program.
Applicants must meet one of the following admission formula requirements. For purposes of computing the undergraduate GPA, a 4.0 grade-point scale is used. The plus (+) and minus (-) grades from undergraduate transcripts are not used in calculating the GPA.
Minimum Requirements for the MA with a Major in Liberal Studies
The student must complete a minimum of 30 graduate semester hours in approved courses of which 18 graduate semester hours must be from two or more of the following fields of study: anthropology; biology; computer science and information systems; criminal justice; drama; economics; emergency management; English; environmental science management; geography; geographical information systems; history; music; political science; and psychology. The remaining 12 graduate semester hours may be completed in other fields selected by the student and the advisor.
A maximum of six hours of graduate credit may be transferred; however, courses transferred must be applicable to the student’s program of study.