Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: SECONDARY EDUCATION
TEACHING FIELD: GENERAL SOCIAL STUDIES (6-12)
Core Requirements (19-22 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- EFD 560 - Psychological Principles of Learning (3)
- ESE 500 - Research and Statistics in Secondary Education (3)
- ESE 502 - Curriculum Development in Secondary Schools (3)
- ESE 567 - Literacy Theory and Practice (3)
- ESE 571 - Critical Inquiry in History and Social Science (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Choose one from the following:
- ESE 531 - Philosophy and History of Education (3)
- EAD 564 - Law and Politics of Education (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (12 semester hours):
By faculty advisement, select 12 graduate semester hours in social science to include at least one course from two of the following areas:
- Political Science
At least 6 of the 12 semester hours selected must be numbered at the 500 level.
34-37* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Eligibility for this program requires fourth-year (bachelor’s) teaching certificate in social studies.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification social studies.
- This major requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the course work in the teaching field. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA in this teaching field course work to the required 3.0.
- Candidates eligible (to enroll in courses in a Class A teaching field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditiional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit). Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Dean of the College of Education and Professional Studies and the Dean/Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.