Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: READING SPECIALIST (P-12)
Core Requirements (12 semester hours):
- EFD 500 - Research in Education (3)
- EED 509 - 21st Century Teaching and Learning (3)
- EED 550 - Diversity in Today's Classroom (3)
- RDG 546 - Multicultural Literature (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (24 semester hours):
- RDG 538 - Teaching Reading in ECE (3)
- RDG 542 - Strategic Reading Across the Curriculum (3)
- RDG 545 - Teaching Language Arts (3)
- RDG 567 - Literacy Theory and Practice (3)
- RDG 572 - Assessment and Diagnosis in Reading (3)
- RDG 573 - Intervention Strategies for Reading Instruction (3)
- RDG 574 - Practicum for Teachers of Reading (3)
- RDG 575 - Internship in Organization and Supervision of Reading Programs (3)
Diversity Requirement (3 semester hours):
- SPE 500 - Survey of Special Education (3) is required unless SPE 300 was satisfied at the undergraduate level. If SPE 300 has already been satisfied at the undergraduate or graduate level, candidates must choose ONE of the following courses to satisfy the diversity repuirement:
- SPE 532 Methods and Strategies for Enrichment: Teaching Gifted Students in the Inclusive Classroom (3)
- RDG 530 Methods and Materials for Reading: Teaching Students with Exceptionalities in the Inclusive Setting (3)
- EED 548 Methods for Multicultural Classrooms (3)
39* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Eligibility for this program requires a fourth-year (bachelor’s) level teaching certificate. Students who hold a certificate in areas other than early childhood education, elementary education, or special education must complete two undergraduate reading courses of which one must be an introductory reading course - OR - achieve a passing score on the Praxis II Teaching Reading test validated for use in Alabama.
- Candidates eligible (to enroll in courses in a Class A teaching field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit). Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Dean of the School of Education and the Director of Graduate Studies.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s level) teacher certification in reading specialist (P-12).
- Successful completion of the appropriate Praxis II examination is required before taking Practicum, RDG 574.
- Experience verification from the applicant’s school system or systems showing two years of teaching experience is required prior to enrollment in classes.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.