Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: READING SPECIALIST (P-12)
Core Requirements (10-13 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- EED 522 - Assessment in Elementary Education (3)
- EFD 500 - Research in Education (3)
- EFD 560 - Psychological Principles of Learning (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey of Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Teaching Field Requirements (24 semester hours):
- RDG 538 - Teaching Reading in ECE (3)
- RDG 542 - Teaching Reading (3)
- RDG 545 - Teaching Language Arts (3)
- RDG 567 - Literacy Theory and Practice (3)
- RDG 572 - Assessment and Diagnosis in Reading (3)
- RDG 573 - Intervention Strategies for Reading Instruction (3)
- RDG 574 - Practicum for Teachers of Reading (3)
- RDG 575 - Internship in Organization and Supervision of Reading Programs (3)
34-37* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Eligibility for this program requires a fourth-year (bachelor’s) level teaching certificate. Students who hold a certificate in areas other than early childhood education, elementary education, or special education must complete two undergraduate reading courses of which one must be an introductory reading course.
- Candidates eligible (to enroll in courses in a Class A teaching field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit). Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Dean of the College of Education and Professional Studies and the Dean/Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s level) teacher certification in reading specialist (P-12).
- Successful completion of the appropriate Praxis II examination is required before taking Practicum, RDG 574.
- Experience verification from the applicant’s school system or systems showing two years of teaching experience is required prior to enrollment in classes.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.