Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: PHYSICAL EDUCATION
CONCENTRATION: P-12 TEACHER EDUCATION
Core Requirements (12 semester hours):
- HPE 537 - Issues & Trends in Wellness & Sport Studies (3)
- HPE 540 - Law & Ethics in Wellness & Sport Studies (3)
- HPE 553 - Applied Exercise Physiology I (3)
- HPE 578 - Research in Wellness & Sport Studies (3)
P-12 Teacher Education Concentration (18-21 semester hours):
- HPE 500 - Foundations of Health & Physical Education (3) OR
HPE 502 - Sociology of Sport (3)
- HPE 510 - Physical Education Curriculum (3)
- HPE 515 - Assessment in Health & Physical Education (3)
- HPE 520 - Best Practices in PE (3)
- HPE 554 - Applied Exercise Physiology II (3) OR HPE 583 - Perceptual Motor Development (3)
- HPE 590 - Directed Study in Wellness & Sport Studies (3)
- **SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
**(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
33* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Admission to this program requires clear and renewable teacher certification (bachelor's level certification) in physical education from an accredited institution. Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (Alabama Class A) teacher certification in physical education (P-12).
- Candidates admitted (to enroll in courses in a Class A teaching field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit). Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Dean of the School of Education and the Director of Graduate Studies.
- The MS.Ed. with a major in physical education and a concentration in P-12 Teacher Education is a two-year online program. It may be possible to complete the program requirements in less than two years depending on the frequency of course offerings.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.