Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: SECONDARY EDUCATION
TEACHING FIELD: MATHEMATICS (6-12)
Core Requirements (19-22 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1) (Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- ESE 500 - Research and Statistics in Secondary Education (3)
- ESE 502 - Curriculum Development in Secondary Schools (3)
- EFD 560 - Psychological Principles of Learning (3)
- ESE 567 - Literacy Theory and Practice (3)
- ESE 570 - Critical Inquiry in Mathematics (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3) (Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Choose one from the following:
- EFD 531 - Philosophy of Education (3)
- EAD 564 - Law and Politics of Education (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (12 semester hours):
- By faculty advisement, select 12 graduate semester hours in mathematics.
- At least 6 of the 12 semester hours selected must be numbered at the 500 level.
*Elective (3 semester hours):
- By faculty advisement, 3 graduate semester hours of electives must be selected from courses numbered at the 400G or 500 levels.
34-37* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Admission to this program requires a fourth-year (bachelor’s) teaching certificate in mathematics.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification in mathematics.
- This major requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the course work in the teaching field. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA in this teaching field course work to the required 3.0.
- Candidates admittted (to enroll in courses in a Class A teacing field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit).
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.