Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: LIBRARY MEDIA (P-12)
Core Requirements (0-4 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
*(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level
must take SPE 500.)
Foundational Course (9 semester hours):
- EFD 500 - Research in Education (3)
- EFD 552 - Diversity in Education (3)
- EFD 560 - Psychological Principles of Learning (3)***
Library Media Courses (27 semester hours):
- EIM 504 - Learning through Interactive Technologies (3)
- EIM 505 - Curriculum Integration of Technology (3)
- EIM 551 - Technology in School Environments (3)
- LM 512 - Children and Young Adult Literature (3)
- LM 513 - Management of Media Centers (3)
- LM 530 - Librarian as Instructional Partner (3)
- LM 531 - Trends, Issues, Innovation & Leadership in Libraries & Schools (3)
- LM 532 - Collection Management, Cataloging & Reference (3)
- LM 515 - Internship in Media Services (3)
39-43* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
*** Prospective media specialists who already have experience as a classroom teacher can choose to substitute an appropriate
elective (as per advisement by LM staff) for EFD 560 if desired. Electives could include classes such as EIM 503, EIM 515,
EED 509, ESE 505 or SPE 520.
- Eligibility for this program requires fourth-year (bachelor’s) teacher certification in any area of education.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification in library media (P-12).
- Candidates eligible (to enroll in courses in a Class A teaching field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit). Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Dean of the School of Education and the Director of Graduate Studies.
- Successful completion of the appropriate Praxis II examination is required prior to Internship, LM 515.
- Experience verification from the applicant’s school system or systems showing two years of teaching experience is required prior to admission to the program. Students who enroll in Library Media or School Counseling as of July 1, 2017 and thereafter must have completed two years of full-time acceptable education work expereience in a P-12 setting prior to admission to the program. As of July 1, 2017, and thereafter students must have 2 full years of full-time acceptable education work experience prior to unconditional acceptance.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.