Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: SECONDARY EDUCATION
TEACHING FIELD: HISTORY (6-12)
Core Requirements (19-22 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- ESE 500 - Research and Statistics in Secondary Education (3)
- ESE 502 - Curriculum Development in Secondary Schools (3)
- EFD 560 - Psychological Principles of Learning (3)
- ESE 567 - Literacy Theory and Practice (3)
- ESE 571 - Critical Inquiry in History and Social Science (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Choose one from the following:
- ESE 531 - Philosophy of Adolescent Education (3)
- EAD 564 - Law and Politics of Education (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (12 semester hours):
- By faculty advisement, select 12 graduate semester hours in history.
- At least 6 of the 12 semester hours selected must be numbered at the 500 level.
34-37* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Eligibility for this program requires a fourth-year (bachelor’s) teaching certificate in history or social science.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification in history. Students who hold a current certificate in Social Sciences must pass the appropriate Praxis II exam for World and US History prior to certification application for the Class A certificate in History.
- This major requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the course work in the teaching field. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA in this teaching field course work to the required 3.0.
- Candidates eligible (to enroll incourses in a Class A teaching field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit). Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Dean of the College of Education and Professional Studies and the Dean/Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.