Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: SECONDARY EDUCATION
TEACHING FIELD: FAMILY AND FONSUMER SCIENCES (6-12)
Core Requirements (19-22 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- EFD 502 - Curriculum Development (3)
- EFD 560 - Psychological Principles of Learning (3)
- ESE 500 - Research and Statistics in Secondary Education (3)
- ESE 567 - Literacy Theory and Practice (3)
- FCS 560 - Advanced Methods for Teaching Family and Consumer Sciences (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Choose One from the following:
- EFD 531 - Philosophy of Education (3)
- EFD 532 - Social Foundations of Education (3)
- EAD 564 - Law and Politics of Education (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (12 semester hours):
- FCS 500 - History & Philosophy of Family & Consumer Sciences (3)
- FCS 526 - Contemporary Issues in Textiles and Fashion (3)
- FCS 538 - Critical Issues in Nutrition and Food Sciences (3)
- FCS 552 - Advanced Human Development and Family Relations (3)
*Elective: (3 semester hours):
- By faculty advisement, 3 graduate hours of electives must be selected from courses numbered at the 400 or 500 levels.
34-37 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Admission to this program requires fourth-year (bachelor’s) teacher certification in family and consumer sciences.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification family and consumer science.
- This major requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the course work in the teaching field. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA in this teaching field course work to the required 3.0.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.