Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: SECONDARY EDUCATION
TEACHING FIELD: ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS (6-12)
Core Requirements (19-22 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
- EFD 502 - Curriculum Development (3)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- EFD 560 - Psychological Principles of Learning (3)
- ESE 500 - Research and Statistics in Secondary Education (3)
- ESE 567 - Literacy Theory and Practice (3)
- ESE 572 - Critical Inquiry in English Language Arts (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Choose one from the following:
- EFD 531 - Philosophy of Education (3)
- EFD 532 - Social Foundations of Education (3)
- EAD 564 - Law and Politics of Education (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (12 semester hours):
By faculty advisement, select 12 graduate semester hours in English Language Arts to include at least one course from two of the following areas:
At least 6 of the 12 semester hours selected must be numbered at the 500 level.
*Elective (3 semester hours):
- By faculty advisement, 3 graduate semester hours of electives must be selected from courses numbered at the 400G or 500 levels.
34-37 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Admission to this program requires a fourth-year (bachelor’s) teaching certificate in English or English Language Arts.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification in English Language Arts.
- This major requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the course work in the teaching field. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA in this teaching field course work to the required 3.0.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.