Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: ELEMENTARY EDUCATION (K-6)
Core Requirements (12 semester hours):
- EED 522 - Classroom Assessment for Learning (3)
- EFD 500 - Research in Education (3)
- EED 550 - Diversity in Today's Classroom (3)
- EED 509 - Advanced 21st Century Teaching (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (18 semester hours):
- EED 543 - Social Studies and Today's Leaner (3)
- EED 544 - Integrating STEM and STEAM into Practice (3)
- RDG 542 - Strategic Reading Across the Curriculum (3)
- RDG 545 - Teaching Language Arts (3)
- RDG 546 - Multicultural Literature (3)
- EED 549 - Teachers as Leaders in the Elementary Class Practicum (3)
(To be taken at end of program during Fall or Spring Semester.)
Diversity Requirement (3 Semester Hours):
SPE 500 Survey of Special Education (3) is required unless SPE 300 was satisfied at the undergraduate level.
33* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
If SPE 300 has already been satisfied at the undergradduate or graduate level, candidates must choose
ONE of the following courses to satisfy the diversity requirement:
SPE 532 Methods and Strategies for Enrichment: Teaching Gifted Students in the Inclusive Classroom (3)
RDG 530 Methods and Materials for Reading: Teaching Students with Exceptionalities in the Inclusive Setting (3)
EED 548 Methods for Multicultural Classrooms (3)
- Eligibility for this program requires fourth-year (bachelor’s) teacher certification in elementary education.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification elementary education.
- Candidates eligible (to enroll in courses in a Class A teaching field progra) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit).
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for college and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.