Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: ELEMENTARY EDUCATION (K-6)
Core Requirements (16-19 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- EED 522 - Assessment in Elementary Education (3)
- EED 540 - Curriculum Integration in Elementary Education (3)
- EFD 500 - Research in Education (3)
- EFD 560 - Psychological Principals of Learning (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500 and have 0 electives.)
Then, Choose one from the following:
- EFD 531 - Philosophy of Education (3)
- EFD 532 - Social Foundations of Education (3)
- EAD 564 - Law and Politics of Education (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (15 semester hours):
- EED 541 - Teaching Mathematics (3)
- EED 542 - Teaching Reading (3)
- EED 549 - Reflective Teaching Practices (3)
(To be taken at end of program during Fall or Spring Semester.)
Then, Choose two from the following:
- EED 543 - Teaching Social Studies (3)
- EED 544 - Teaching Science (3)
- EED 545 - Teaching Language Arts (3)
*Elective (0 or 3 semester hours):
- By faculty advisement, 3 graduate semester hours of electives must be selected, by advisement from courses numbered 500 or above.
34-37 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Admission to this program requires fourth-year (bachelor’s) teacher certification in elementary education K-6 or Georgia teacher certification in elementary education K-5, early childhood education P-5, or middle grades generalist 4-8.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification elementary education.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for college and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.