MAJOR: EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION (P-3)
Core Requirements (19-22 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- ECE 512 - Practicum in Early Childhood Special Education (3)
- EFD 500 - Research in Education (3)
- SPE 505 - Functional Communication (3)
- SPE 522 - Assessment of Special Populations (3)
- SPE 533 - Applied Behavior Analysis (3)
- SPE 554 - Medical, Legal, and Ethical Aspects of SPE (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Teaching Field Requirements (18 semester hours):
- ECE 500 - Materials & Methods (3)
- ECE 501 - Behavior & Development in Early Childhood (3)
- ECE 513 - Individualization of Education for Young Children (3)
- SPE 560 - Characteristics of Severe Disabilities (3)
- SPE 561 - Research and Practices: Severe Disabilities K-6 (3)
- SPE 584 - Practicum in Severe Disabilities , K-6 (3)
37-40* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Admission to this program requires bachelor’s level certification (fourth-year) in one of the following areas: early childhood education, elementary education, or any area of special education except gifted-talented.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teaching certification in early childhood special education (P-3).
- Successful completion of the appropriate Praxis II examination is required before Practicum, ECE 512 and SPE 584.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.