Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION (P-3)
Core Requirements (22-25 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- EFD 500 - Research in Education (3)
- SPE 509 - Data Analysis (3)
- ECE 512 - Practicum in Early Cbildhood Special Education (3)
- SPE 522 - Assessment of Special Populations (3)
- SPE 554 - Medical, Legal, and Ethical Aspects of SPE (3)
- SPE 520 - Technology for Special Education (3)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Teaching Field Requirements (18 semester hours):
- ECE 500 - Materials & Methods (3)
- ECE 501 - Behavior & Development in Early Childhood (3)
- ECE 513 - Individualization of Education for Young Children (3)
- SPE 527 - Methods & Materials, Severe Disabilities (3)
- SPE 562 - Practicum in Severe Disabilities (3)
- SPE 570 - Current Trends in SPE (3)
40-43* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Admission to this program requires bachelor’s level certification (fourth-year) in one of the following areas: early childhood education, elementary education, or any area of special education except gifted-talented.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teaching certification in early childhood special education (P-3).
- Candidates admitted (to enrollin courses in a Class A teaching field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit).
- Successful completion of the appropriate Praxis II exam(s) is required before Practicum, ECE 512 and SPE 584.