Master of Science in Education
MAJOR: SECONDARY EDUCATION
TEACHING FIELD: BIOLOGY (6-12)
Core Requirements (19-22 semester hours):
- ED 500 Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Discipline specific section required first semester of enrollment.)
- ESE 500 Research and Statistics in Secondary Education (3)
- ESE 502 Curriculum Development in Secondary Schools (3)
- EFD 560 Psychological Principles of Learning (3)
- ESE 567 Literacy Theory and Practice (3)
- ESE 573 Critical Inquiry in Biology and General Science (3)
- *SPE 500 Survey Course in Special Education (3)
*Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or
graduate level must take SPE 500.
Choose one from the following:
- ESE 531 Philosophy of Adolescent Education (3)
- EAD 564 Law and Politics of Education (3)
Teaching Field Requirements (12 semester hours):
- By faculty advisement, select 12 graduate semester hours in biology or marine biology.
- At least 6 of the 12 semester hours selected must be numbered at the 500 level.
31-34* Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Eligibility for this program requires fourth-year (bachelor’s) teaching certification in biology or general science.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification in biology (6-12). Students who hold a current certificate in General Science must pass the appropriate Praxis II exam for Biology prior to certification application for the Class A certificate in Biology.
- Candidates eligible (to enroll in courses in a Class A teaching field program) may complete no more than five approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program (this includes transfer credit). Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Dean of the School of Education and the Director of Graduate Studies.
- This major requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the course work in the teaching field. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA in this teaching field course work to the required 3.0. A 3.25 GPA is required for completion of this major effective July 1, 2017 and thereafter.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.