TEACHING FIELD: BIOLOGY (6-12)
Core Requirements (18-22 semester hours):
- ED 500 - Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1)
(Students who did not take ED 500 (discipline specific section) as a master’s student at JSU are required to take the course as part of their Ed.S. program. Required in the first semester of enrollment.)
- EFD 552 - Diversity Issues in Education (3)
- EIM 610 - Emerging Technology & Collaborative Tools (3)
- EFD 615 - Leadership (3)
- EFD 620 - Measurement and Evaluation (3)
- EFD 691 - Advanced Research in Education I (3)
(Prerequisites for ECE and EED majors: ECE/EED 631 and ECE/EED 642; for SPE majors: SPE 620 and SPE 624)
- EFD 692 - Advanced Research in Education II (3) (Prerequisite: EFD 691)
(Must be taken in the last semester of enrollment.)
- *SPE 500 - Survey Course in Special Education (3)
(Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500.)
Teaching Field Requirements (12 semester hours):
- By faculty advisement, choose 12 graduate semester hours in biology or marine biology.
- Graduate courses selected to meet this concentration requirement must be numbered at the 500 or 600 levels.
30-34 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
- Admission to this program requires fifth-year (master’s) teacher certification in biology or general science.
- Completion of this program leads to eligibility for sixth-year teacher certification in biology.
- This major requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the course work in the teaching field. An overall GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale on all course work attempted is required for this program. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA in this teaching field course work to the required 3.0. Courses used toward the master’s degree or fifth-year/master’s certification may not be repeated or counted for the Ed.S. degree.
- A student may transfer no more than three semester hours of coursework in the teaching field.
- Students in this program are required to purchase College LiveText. College LiveText Education Solutions is a complete development, management, and assessment solution specifically designed for colleges and universities. Additional information on College LiveText can be obtained at http://www.livetext.com.
- The purposes of a Class AA program shall be to prepare educators on the sixth-year level to serve effectively in instructional support positions. Persons who complete Class AA programs shall have acquired knowledge and skills above the level required for completion of a Class A program.