1. Completed Application for Admission
2. Non-refundable $35.00 application processing fee
3. Official transcript(s) from all postsecondary institutions attended.
(Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the University.) Students seeking alternative fifth-year teacher certification must submit two (2) official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended. One copy is retained in your JSU file and the second copy is forwarded to the State Department of Education for issuance of certification.
5. Copies of all clear and renewable teaching certificates :
(When applying for the following)
- Educational Specialist (for all concentrations except community agency counseling)
- Master of Arts with a major in music and a concentration in music educationMaster of Science with a major in counselor education and a concentration in school counseling (traditional certification admission option)
- Master of Science with a major in sport management (traditional certification admission option)
- Master of Science in Education
6. Completed Verification of Educational Experience form
(Required for the following programs.)
- Library Media (Completion of two years of teaching experience required prior to graduation from the program)
- Reading Specialist (Completion of two years of teaching experience required prior to enrollment in classes for the master’s level certification programs)
- School Counseling (Completion of two years of teaching experience required prior to graduation from the master’s level certification programs)
- Instructional Leadership (Completion of three years of full-time teaching experience prior to admission to the master’s program)
7. Background check.
Any candidate applying for admission to a state-approved teacher education program shall be required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check through the Alabama State Department of Education to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Applicants should contact Cogent Systems at www.cogentid.com/alabama for direction in completing this process.
8. Three completed Graduate Reference forms
(These need to completed by individuals who can provide qualitative assessment of the your potential for success in graduate course work.)
If English is not the applicant’s native language, the applicant is requiredto submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scorereport or an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score report or the Pearson Test of English PTE. A minimum score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL, 173 on the computer-based TOEFL, or 61 on the internet-based TOEFL is required for admission. A minimum score of 5.5 on the IELTS is required for admission. A minimum score of 45 on the PTE is required for admission. The TOEFL, IELTS, or the PTE are not required for international students who have earned a bachelor’s degree from a United States regionally accredited institution.