Content Top Nav Left Nav Utility Nav Site Search
Mobile Menu

Financial Aid

More Links

Veterans Affairs

Our Staff

Ashley Figueroa Rivera
Veterans Affairs Specialist

The Veterans Affairs office assists veterans and their dependents with receiving benefits under various federal and state programs. This office ensures that proper paperwork is completed, certified, and filed with the VA so that payment dispersal can begin. If you are a veteran who will be attending classes at Jacksonville State University, or if you have any question about VA benefits, please feel free to stop in and see us in Room 105, Bibb Graves Hall, or email us at

Official website for the Department of Veterans Affairs, Phone: 1-888-442-4551

All students who receive veteran's education benefits are responsible for the same tuition policies as other JSU students.

How to Start Your Veterans' Educational Benefits at JSU

All prospective students must complete the appropriate application for admission to Jacksonville State University. Transfer applicants must provide official transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Once accepted, contact the Office of Veterans Affairs to apply for benefits.

Note: If you complete and/or submit any VA Forms on the website or at the State VA Office (Federal Forms), copies must also be submitted to Jacksonville State University, Veterans Affairs Office, Room 105 Bibb Graves Hall, 700 Pelham Road North, Jacksonville, AL 36265.

Request a Joint Services Transcript (JST) for Service members and veterans be provided directly to JSU.

VA Form 22-1990

Application for Education Benefits

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty Educational Assistance Program

Chapter 32 or Section 903 - Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill

Veterans applying for Chapter 33, Post-9/11 benefits must submit a "Certificate of Eligibility" in order to receive benefits.

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve

Chapter 1607 - REAP - Reserve Educational Assistance Program

VA Form 22-5490

Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance

Chapter 35 - Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program

VA Form 22-1995   Request a Change of Program or Place of Training under Chapter 30, 33 (Post 911), 32, 1606, and 1607. This    form applies to transfer students or change of major. If you are transferring, you need to submit a "Change of Address" form and possibly other documentation, in the event that your marital status has changed since you last received VA benefits.
VA Form 22-5495 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance under Chapter 33 (Post 911) and 35 or Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship. If you are transferring, you need to submit a "Change of Address" form
VA Form 20-572 Request for Change of Address/Cancellation of Direct Deposit.
VA Form 28-1900

Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation for disabled veterans

Veteran Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation, Chapter 31 Education Benefits

VA Form 28-1905 must be submitted to the Jacksonville State University VA Office in order to put a veteran on for tuition, books, etc. This form comes from Vocational, Rehabilitation & Employment, 950 22nd St. N., Suite 777, Birmingham, AL 35203. Phone: (205) 731-0341.

Class Card - This on line card verifies your schedule of classes at JSU, and is found in the right hand margin of this web page. You must submit one each semester in order to receive your benefits. Failure to verify your schedule may result in you not being certified as eligible during that term and, therefore, not getting paid, or being overpaid with a corresponding reduction in later benefits. Should you change your schedule later by dropping and/or adding classes, you must notify our office in order to avoid payment problems.

Course Outline - A list of courses required for major. All departments have a sheet listing core courses and course curriculum for majors.

Name of Program - The complete name of the program (major) for which a student is currently enrolled must be shown on all Enrollment Certifications and on Banner/JSU website. This information is declared by the student when completing an application for VA benefits or transferring benefits. VA will not pay benefits for "undecided" majors.

Course Load


  • 12 semester hours or more = Full time
  • 7 - 9 semester hours = 3/4
  • 6 semester hours = ½ time
  • 1 - 5 semester hours = Tuition or less


  • 9 semester hours or more = Full time
  • 7 - 8 semester hours = ¾ time
  • 6 semester hours = ½ time
  • 1 - 5 semester hours = Tuition or less

Academic Progress/Grades

Veterans must attend classes regularly and continue to show satisfactory progress. A grade of "FA" or "NCA" is given to students who stop attending class. VA does not pay for non-attendance. This will cause an overpayment to you.

Students are required to meet the minimum cumulative grade point averages (GPAs) in accordance with the JSU Academic Standards Policy as published in the Undergraduate Catalogue and Graduate Bulletin.

EH 101 and EH 102 are credit courses leading toward a major. Grades of A, B, C, NC are given. VA will not pay for "NC" grades going toward a major.

Remedial courses - In order for VA to pay for LS courses, you must take a "Placement test" or ACT Composite. Benefit payments will not be made for courses from which you withdraw unless mitigating circumstances exist.

State Assistance Programs

Tuition Assistance (TA) Department of Defense (DOD) Program

Tuition Assistance on line applications through GoArmyEd for Army.

Tuition Assistance on line applications for Air Force,  Marines, and Navy.

If you have questions concerning Military Tuition Assistance, please contact us at

Things to Keep in Mind

Remember the VA will not pay for any classes that do not count toward your major. The VA periodically checks all applicants to ensure that the courses being taken are relevant to the student's declared major. Failure to comply with this policy could lead to the VA billing you for benefits received. The form below must be downloaded, printed, completed and sent to the JSU VA Office for all students applying for VA benefits.


Back to Top