Welcome to the ELI!
The English Language Institute (ELI) is a non-credit institute set up to assist non-native English speakers who want to learn English for academic and professional purposes. The ELI is part of Jacksonville State University (JSU), a regional comprehensive university located in the city of Jacksonville, Alabama. ELI classes are designed for people who have an interest in studying at JSU for undergraduate or graduate study, but who first need to improve their English. However, people who would like to come for a short-term American study experience to improve their English are also encouraged to attend the English Language Institute.
Why study at the JSU English Language Institute?
- Instruction focuses on improving reading, writing, listening, and speaking in English for success in study at an American university.
- ELI teachers are professional, experienced, and caring.
- The Institute is in a newly-renovated location and is equipped with the latest technology, including two new language/computer labs.
- There are significant financial advantages for you when learning English and studying at JSU, including low tuition cost and Jacksonville's low cost of living.
- The ELI offers a variety of extra-curricular activities, such as outings to Atlanta, picnics, and field trips, that provide excellent opportunities to get to know other students, to experience American culture, and to practice English skills in non-academic settings.
- The ELI at JSU offers you the opportunity to speak English with Americans, both on campus and in the community.
- Jacksonville is a very safe community, and its people are extremely friendly.
- If you are a person who likes nature and outdoor activities, the JSU campus is less than an hour away from a state park and a national park, and the campus has a biking trail that runs directly through it.
- If you like sports, there are several excellent golf courses in the area, as well as many on-campus sports (soccer, football, basketball, tennis, etc.) for participants and spectators.
- The ELI staff is focused on making your overall experience as positive as possible.
Come join us!
We certainly hope that you choose to study with us at the English Language Institute at Jacksonville State University. If you have an interest in the JSU ELI, please look through our website, and then email us, if you have questions. We will do our best to answer your questions and provide further information about our program.