Welcome to the ELI!
The ELI is a non-credit institute set up to assist non-native English speakers who want to learn English for academic and professional purposes. The classes are designed for people who have an interest in studying at universities and colleges in the United States. However, people who would like to come for a short-term American study experience in order to improve their English, are also encouraged to attend the Institute.
Why study at the JSU English Language Institute?
- Jacksonville offers you the opportunity to speak English with Americans, both on campus and in the community.
- There are significant financial advantages for you when learning English at JSU, particularly low tuition cost and Jacksonville's low cost of living.
- The ELI staff is focused on making your overall experience as positive as possible.
- Your teachers will be caring, professional, and experienced.
- The Institute is in a newly-renovated location and is equipped with the latest technology. We have "smart" classrooms and a new language / computer lab.
- Jacksonville is very safe and its people are extremely friendly.
- If you are a person who likes nature and outdoor activities, the JSU campus is just a ten minute drive from a state park, and the campus has a biking trail that runs directly through it.
- If you like sports, there are several excellent golf courses in the area, as well as many on-campus sports (soccer, football, basketball, tennis, etc.) for participants and spectators.
- The ELI offers a variety of activities such as outings to Atlanta, picnics, and field trips that provide excellent opportunities to get to know other students.
The only eligibility requirements of the Institute are that you have graduated high school in your home country before you study at the ELI. (Bring your original high school degree or academic record with English translation with you.) You must be at least age 18 at the time of your application. Upon filling out your application, you must fax your high school degree or academic record with English translation to: 256-782-8377.
Schedule and Levels
The ELI schedule is made up of six sessions per year consisting of two 6-week intensive sessions (25+ hours instruction per week) in the summer semester, and two 7 1/2-week sessions (20+ hours instruction per week) in the fall and spring semesters, respectively. Each session represents one level of study. Students interested in a short-term experience may choose to attend for a full session or even for a half session.
There are a total of four levels in our program. The levels consist of the following: Level 1- Beginning; Level 2- Intermediate; Level 3- High Intermediate; Level 4- Advanced
Incoming students are limited to a maximum of six sessions of study in the ELI. In those limited circumstances in which a student needs additional time for ESL study, an appeals process is available.
Students who do not have the minimum English proficiency test score required for admission may be conditionally admitted to JSU by attending the English Language Institute. After successful completion of the ELI, students may enroll in degree earning classes at JSU.