Content Top Nav Left Nav Utility Nav Site Search
Mobile Menu


More Links

Graduate Degrees

HPER Graduate Programs

Program Overviews

Masters of Science in Education with a major in Physical Education

This is referred to as our "traditional" master's degree.  This program is completely online as it was created to be convenient for practicing physical educators. As such, a current fourth year (B.S) teaching certificate in physical education is required for admission, and many of the courses will require interaction with K-12 students. Completion leads to eligiblity for a fifth year (M.S.) teaching certificate. The program requires 34-37 hours, and can normally be  completed in 1 1/2 to 3 years. there is a six year time limit on accepted coursework.

Maters of Science in Education with a major in Physical Education (Alternative Fifth-Year Program)

This is referred to as our Alternative Fifth Year master's degree.  It is intended for students already holding a degree, but not a teaching certificate. Typical students in this program have a recreation or exercise science degree and, sometime after graduation, have decided to get certified so they may teach physical education. About half of the required 63 hours are not offered online, including the student teaching component. Completion leads to eligibility for a fifth year (M.S.) teaching certificate.

Educational Specialist Degree with a concentration in Physical Education (E.D.S.)

This program is almost completely online as it was created to be convenient for practicing physical educators.  The writing and defense of a Problems Paper, will require one to four visits to meet with your advisor and/or the graduate faculty.  Meetings will be arranged at your convenience.  A current fifth year (M.S.) teaching certificate in physical education is required for admission.  Completion leads to eligibility for a sixth year teacher certification. The program requires 30-31 hours and can normally be completed in one to three years. There is a six year time limit on accepted coursework. Please note, this is NOT a doctoral degree.


Graduate Bulletin

Admission and program of study information can be found in the Graduate Bulletin. Candidates will be responsible for meeting requirements set forth in the bulletin that is in effect at the time of admission.


Required HPE courses


HPE 500 Foundations of HPE


HPE 508 Research in HPE


HPE 510 Physical Education Curriculum


HPE 515 Assessment in HPE


HPE 537 Issues and trends in HPE


HPE 540 Law and Ethics in PE and Sport Mgmt


HPE 555 Advanced Anaerobic Physiology


HPE 556 Advanced Aerobic Physiology


Making a Course Schedule and Registering for Courses

Mapping Out Semester Schedules

When making a schedule it is important to note that required courses with an HPE prefix are scheduled to be offered one time a year. When possible, required HPE courses may be offered more frequently, but only once a year is guaranteed. Candidates should check the course schedule on MyJSU often as well as GEM accounts for updates when additional sections are able to be offered.

Elective HPE courses may be offered less often and courses with prefixes other than HPE (i.e. EFD, EAD, EIM, etc…) are normally offered every semester. If a candidate wishes to finish in two years or less, he/she should take required HPE courses as soon as possible and save courses with non-HPE prefixes and HPE electives for later.

Tentative Course Schedule


Student Registration Procedure

To get cleared to register:

Refer to your program of study and the two year projection to determine what courses you might wish to take.

Then look at the schedule to see what courses are being offered. You can see the course schedule by logging into BANNER ( or going here:

Now that you know what you want to take, complete a trial schedule form. PDF Versions of this form can be found here: .  These forms can be printed, completed and faxed to your advisor.  Our department will accept this rtf form in which you can type and email back to your advisor: HPER Trial Schedule Form.

Your advisor will look over your trial schedule to see if there are any obvious red flags, but you are still responsible for ensuring that you follow the course of study. Candidates, not advisors, are always ultimately held responsible for meeting the requirements set forth in the bulletin. If there are no obvious red flags, he/she will sign the form and give it to the departmental secretary who will clear you to register.

To register:

Log into and click on "registration"

Here is a link to help get you started,


Technical Skills and Hardware Needed to be Successful

As these graduate programs require many, if not all, courses to be taken online, candidates must understand that a fair amount of computer knowledge is necessary.  Instructors will not be able to provide you with individual assistance on software and computer use. Several of the software programs to be used offer free technical support, and all the software programs have "help" sections for student use.  Candidates are expected to take advantage of these resources before contacting the instructor.  Furthermore, it is the student's responsibility to ensure that the hardware (computer) being used meets the minimum specifications required to run the software. We strongly encourage prospective students to study the knowledge base needed, before deciding if these programs are right for you:

Blackboard and Livetext are two resources that will be used. Others may be required by individual instructors. Every JSU student is automatically enrolled as a Blackboard user for free upon admission. Livetext must be purchased by the student during the first semester.



What is tuition? Bursars office:

Where can I find important dates? Dates for the beginning and end of the semester, opening of registration periods, university holidays, etc…

How do I find/buy books? Books are required for some classes, but not all. This is up to the individual instructor. All textbooks should be available in the JSU Bookstore, and they will ship books to Distance Education students. The purchase of LiveText is required for all education graduate programs. There may also come a time when proctoring cameras and services are required. When that happens, students will be required to purchase the camera and service, just as they would be expected to purchase a book or software package.

Is there a thesis or comprehensive exam?  None of the programs require a thesis, but the EDS program requires a "problems paper" that is similar in some ways to a thesis. The master's level programs require a comprehensive exam.  Most of our students are in this region, and choose to travel to JSU to take the Exit Exam.  However, students who do not wish to take the Exit Exam on campus can arrange for a proctored exam in their area. Information on the comprehensive exam can be found in the Graduate Bulletin. Candidates register to take the comps during the last semester of coursework. At that time a graduation check will be performed by the college of graduate studies. If the graduation check reveals that the candidate is eligible to sit for comps, he/she will receive further instructions at than time.

How do I see an advisor? You can interact with your advisor online. You can be cleared to register by sending an electronic "Trial Schedule Form" to your advisor. You will be allowed to register once your advisor has approved of your schedule.  Simply contact your advisor for instructions regarding the registration process. For efficient service, you are urged to include your full name, degree program, and student number when contacting your advisor through email.

How does an online course work? How do I interact with the professor?  See Distance Education, in particular, this page:


Back to Top