Currently enrolled in the Instructional Leadership Doctoral Program, The University of Alabama, AL
• M.S. The University of Alabama, AL
• CLAD, University of Los Angeles, CA
• B.S. Jacksonville State University, AL
National Board Certified for Professional Teaching Standards
Over 18 years of teaching experience in Alabama and California
ACTE, AAFCS, Delta Kappa Gamma, Phi Delta Kappa, NEA, and AEA
Courses Currently Taught
- CTE 444 Assessments in CTE
- CTE 460 Practicum in CTE
- CTE 461 Effective Teaching Methods of CTE
- CTE 362 Principles of Career & Technical Education
- ED/CTE 495 Internship in School
- ED/CTE 496 Reflective Practices
- FCS 200 Seminar in Family & Consumer Sciences
- FCS 371 Management of Family Resources
Current Committees at JSU:
- Classroom Management (2010-2012; Chair 2011-2012)
- Curriculum (2010-2013) Co-chair (2011-2013)
- Faculty Evaluation/College Assessment (2010-2014)
- Distance Learning (2011-2013)
- NCATE -- Standard 1
- NCATE -- Standard 2
- NCATE -- Standard 3
- Web Migration (2010-2014)
Ryan, K. and Townsel, K. (2010, January). Teacher preparation at JSU. Techniques, pp. 34-7.
School Skills 101: Get Better Grades, Save Time, And Reduce Stress. (2009).
Secondary Teaching 101 : Teach Smarter, Not Harder. (2009).
TEEN 101. (2010).
College Skills 101. (2010).
Career and Technical Education programs
that lead to Teacher Certification with the Alabama State Department of Education:
- Family & Consumer Science Education Undergraduate
- Business Marketing Education Undergraduate
Contact the Teacher Education Services Center or Kim Townsel for more information.
- Alternative Fifth-Year Program Master of Science in Education Secondary Education Family and Consumer Science Education and Alternative Fifth-Year Program Master of Science in Education Secondary Business Education begin new cohorts each fall.
- For persons already certified to teach, we offer the Master of Education in Family and Consumer Science and the Master of Education in Business Education. For a one-page information sheet, click below:
FCS Graduate Programs
BME Graduate Programs
Graduate School admission information.
Teacher Education Program admission information
Professional links for CTE Teacher Candidates and CTE Graduate Students
Alabama Career Information Network
Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
Alabama CTE Career Clusters, Pathways, and Course Work
Alabama CTE Course Standards
Alabama BIC and ALSDE CTE links