All communication seniors are required to participate in one 350-hour internship (COM 491 - 3 unit hours). Students apply the semester prior to their anticipated internship, and must receive approval from the Internship Coordinator ( Mr. Jerry Chandler) to participate. The internship may be completed during fall, spring or marathon summer sessions. The following internship policy dictates the minimum requirements (pre-reqs), officially listed in the 2013-2014 JSU Catalogue:
- Broadcasting students must have COM 200, 205, 301, 302, and at least 2 hours of COM 404/405 - Media Workshops 1 & 2.
- Digital Journalism students must have COM 200, 315, 325, and at least 2 hours of COM 404/405 - Media Workshops 1 & 2.
- Public Relations students must have COM 200, 315, 325, 330, and 340.
Latest Jobs/Internship Opportunities
The benefits of an internship are numerous. Students gain actual hands-on experience in a media-related organization, and learn the importance of networking. Students will research the area of desired placement, and the Internship Coordinator will assist with the placement at a media facility.
Here's just a sample of the placements of some of our recent interns:
- CNN, Atlanta, GA
- Progressive Farmer magazine, Birmingham, AL
- Redbook magazine, New York
- Southern Living magazine, Birmingham, AL
- WBRC-TV, Birmingham, AL
- ABC 33/40, Birmingham, AL
- Rick and Bubba Show, Birmingham, AL
- The Birmingham News (AL)
- The Anniston Star (AL)
- Turner Sports, Atlanta, GA
- Arista Records, Nashville, TN
- Talladega Motor Sports Hall of Fame Public Relations
- The Gadsden Times (AL)
- NE Alabama Reg. Medical Center Community Relations, Anniston, AL
- The Decatur Daily
- JM Productions, Gadsden, AL
- WAAY-TV, Huntsville, AL
- WHNT-TV, Huntsville, AL
- Calhoun County Chamber of Commerce, Anniston, AL
- The Greater Birmingham Area Chamber of Commerce
- Diamond Video, Birmingham, AL
- AT&T Public Relations, Atlanta, GA
- The Late Show with David Letterman, CBS, New York
For more information, contact Mr. Jerry Chandler, Internship Coordinator