Deaf & Hard of Hearing Student ListServ Information
Contact Information for Postsecondary Institutions
Louisiana Commission For The Deaf
Louisiana Rehabilitation Services
Louisiana Relay Service
Independant Living Centers
Web Links for Students
Glossary of Important Terms

Deaf & Hard of Hearing Student ListServ Information

To subscribe to the Louisiana Postsecondary Disability Service providers (LAPDSP-L) listserv:

  •  Send an e-mail to:
  • In the body of the e-mail type the following: SUBscribe lapdsp-L your name (ex. SUBscribe lapdsp-L Jennie Bourgeois)
  • Wait for a confirmation response back.
Once you are subscribed to the list, to post an e-mail to the list participants:
  • Send an e-mail to:
  • Make sure the subject line of your e-mail adequately describes the subject of your e-mail.
  • Wait for your e-mail to post to the list.
Other useful commands
(Send these commands to:
  • UNSUBscribe your name (ex. UNSUBscribe Jennie Bourgeois) to remove yourself from the list. 
  • HELP to receive some help information about the list.
  • INFO to receive information on commands.
  • LIST to find out what lists exist on LSU.  Only lists that are not confidential will be shown in the response.
  • REView LAPDSP-L to find out who is on a list.
For help or further information about the list please contact the list owner:

Jennie Bourgeois
Louisiana State University
Office of Disability Services
112 Johnston Hall
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803
(225) 388-4913 (V)   (225) 388-2600 (TDD)

Go to top

Contact Information for Louisiana Postsecondary Institutions

Louisiana State University
Office of Disability Services
112 Johnston Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
225/388-2600 TDD
225/388-4913 v
225/334-2652 fax
Delgado Community College
Office of Disability Services
615 City Park Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70119
504/483-1899 TDD
504/483-1898 v
504/483-4524 fax
Bossier Parish Community College
Counseling Office
2719 Airline Drive
Bossier City, LA  71111
Dillard University
Student Affairs
2601 Gentilly Boulevard
New Orleans, LA  70122
504/286-4734 v
504/286-4885 fax
Elaine P. Nunez Community College
3710 Parish Road
Chalmette, LA  70043
Grambling State University
Comprehensive Counseling Center
P.O. Box 609
Grambling, LA 71245
318/274-3338 v
318/274-3114 fax
Louisiana College
Disability Services
P.O. Box 545
Pineville, LA  71359-0545
318/487-7629 v
318/487-7191 fax
Louisiana State University – Alexandria
Human Resources
8100 Hwy. 71 South
Alexandria, LA  71302
318/473-6401 v
318/473-6569 fax
Louisiana State University – Eunice
P.O. Box 1129
Eunice, LA  70535
Louisiana State University Medical Center
11900 Gravier Street
New Orleans, LA  70112
504/568-4246 v
504/568-4249 fax
Louisiana State University – Shreveport
Student Development and Counseling
1 University Place
Shreveport, LA  71115
318/797-5365 v/tdd
Louisiana Tech
P.O. Box 3178
Ruston, LA  71272-0001
318/257-3036 v
Loyola University
Office of Academic Enrichment and Disability Services
Campus Box 41
New Orleans, LA 70118
504/865-2990 v
504/865-3543 fax
McNeese State University
Disability Services
P.O. Box 92687
Lake Charles, LA 70609-2687
318/475-5916 v
318/475-5960 fax
Nicholls State University
Disabled Student Services
P.O. Box 2701
Thibodaux, LA 70310
504/449-7000 TDD
504/448-4828 v
Northeast Louisiana University
Counseling Center
700 University Ave.
Monroe, LA 71209
318/342-5220 v
Northwestern State University
Disability Services
Kyser Hall; Rm 237-C
Natchitoches, Louisiana 71497
318/357-4394 TDD
318/357-6950 v
Our Lady of Holy Cross College
Student Affairs
4123 Woodland
New Orleans, Louisiana 70131
504/394-7744 v
504/391-2421 fax
Southeastern Louisiana University
Services for Students with Disabilities
SLU 496
Hammond, Louisiana 70402
504/549-5040 TDD
504/549-2247 v
504/549-3482 fax
Southern University – Baton Rouge
Services for Students with Disabilities
P.O. Box 11275
Southern Branch Post Office
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70813
225/771-3950 v/TDD
Southern University – New Orleans
Disabled Student Services
6400 Press Drive
New Orleans, Louisiana 70126
504/286-5335 v
504/286-5131 fax
Southern University–Shreveport/Bossier
Office of Student Affairs
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107-4707
318/674-3450 v
University of New Orleans
Office of Disability Services
University Center, Rm 260
New Orleans, Louisiana 70148
504/280-6222 v
504/280-3975 fax
University of Southwestern Louisiana
Services for Students with Disabilities
Junior Division
P.O. Drawer 41650
Lafayette, Louisiana 70504
318/482-5252 v/TDD
Xavier University
Counseling Center
7325 Palmetto Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70125
504/483-7315 v
504/485-7943 fax
Louisiana Technical College – Acadian
1933 W Hutchingson Avenue
Crowley, Louisiana 70526
Louisiana Technical College – Bastrop
P.O. Box 1120
Bistro, Louisiana 71221
Louisiana Technical College –
Florida Parishes
P.O. Box 130
Greensburg, Louisiana 70441
Louisiana Technical College –
Young Memorial
P.O. Box 2148
Morgan City, Louisiana 70381
Louisiana Technical College –
Teche Area
P.O. Box 11057
New Iberia, Louisiana 70562
Louisiana Technical College – Mansfield
P.O. Box 1236
Mansfield, Louisiana 71052
Louisiana Technical College –
Delta Ouachita
609 Vocational Parkway
West Monroe, Louisiana 71292
Louisiana Technical College – Westside
59125 Bayou Road
Plaquemine, Louisiana 70764
Louisiana Technical College -  Hammond Area
P.O. box 489
Hammond, Louisiana 70474
Louisiana Technical College – Natchitoches
6587 Hwy 1. Bypass
Natchitoches, Louisiana 71457
Louisiana Technical College –
North Central
P.O. Box 548
Farmerville, Louisiana 71241
318/368-3179 v
Louisiana Technical College –
Baton Rouge
3250 North Acadian Thruway
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70805
Louisiana Technical College – Lafourche
1425 Tiger Drive
P.O. Box 1831
Thibodeaux, Louisiana 70302
Louisiana Technical College – Evangeline
P.O. Box 68
St. Martinville, Louisiana 70582
Louisiana Technical College – Lafayette
1101 Bertrand Drive
Lafayette, Louisiana 70506
Louisiana Technical College –
Lamar Salter
15014 Lake Charles Highway
Leesville, Louisiana 71446
Louisiana Technical College –
Huey P. Long
303 S. Jones Street
Winnfield, Louisiana 71483
Louisiana Technical College – Jumonville Memorial
P.O. Box 725
New Roads, LA 70760
Louisiana Technical College – Alexandria
P.O. Box 5698
Alexandria, Louisiana 71308
Louisiana Technical College –
Shelby M. Jackson
P.O. Box 152
Ferriday, Louisiana 71334
Louisiana Technical College –
T.H. Harris
337 E South Street
Opelousas, Louisiana 70570
Louisiana Technical College –
Gulf Area
1115 Clover Street
Abbeville, Louisiana 70510
Louisiana Technical College – South LA
P.O. Box 5033
Houma, Louisiana 70361
Louisiana Technical College – Jefferson
5200 Blair Drive
Metairie, Louisiana 70001
Louisiana Technical College –
Charles B. Corell
1124 Vocational Drive
P.O. Box 296
Ville Platt, Louisiana 70586
Louisiana Technical College –
Sidney N. Collier
3727 Louisa Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70126
Louisiana Technical College – Ascension
9697 Airline Highway
Sorrento, Louisiana 70778
Louisiana Technical  College
2010 N. Market
P.O. Box 785278
Shreveport, Louisiana 71137
Louisiana Technical College –
River Parishes
P.O. Drawer AQ
Reserve, Louisiana 70084
Louisiana Technical College – Ruston
P.O. Box 1070
Ruston, Louisiana 71273
Louisiana Technical College
West Jefferson
475 Manhattan Boulevard
Harvey, Louisiana 70058
Louisiana Technical College –
Sabine Valley
P.O. Box 790
Many, Louisiana 71449
Louisiana Technical College – Sullivan
1710 Sullivan Drive
Bogalusa, Louisiana 70427
Louisiana Technical College – Tallulah
P.O. Drawer 1740
Tallulah, Louisiana 71284
Louisiana Technical College – Avoyelles
P.O. Box 307
Cottonport, Louisiana 71327
Louisiana Technical College – Northeast
1710 Warran Street
Winnsboro, Louisiana 71295
Louisiana Technical College – Oakdale
P.O. Drawer EM
Oakdale, Louisiana 71463
Louisiana Technical College – Folkes
P.O. Box 808
Jackson, Louisiana 70748
Louisiana Technical College – Slidell
P.O. Box 827
Slidell, Louisiana 70459
Louisiana Technical College –
Jefferson Davis
P.O. Box 1327
Jennings, Louisiana 70546
Go to top

Louisiana Commission For The Deaf

Making A Difference in the quality of  life for deaf and hard of hearing citizens of Louisiana

The Louisiana Commission for the Deaf  was organized in 1980 to insure that Louisiana's public and private services are accessible to deaf, hard of hearing  and speech  impaired citizens.  It is the  goal of the Louisiana Commission for the Deaf  to be the statewide resource on issues related to the welfare and inclusion of hearing impaired  citizens.


  • Information on Deafness
  • Telecommunication Devices and Related Equipment  Distribution
  • Telecommunication Device Training
  • Sign Language Interpreting Services and Referrals
  • State Interpreter Testing / Certification
  • Directory of Certified Interpreters
  • Information on ADA/Louisiana Laws Relating to Hearing Impaired Issues
  • Telephone Relay Service Information
  • Outreach Activities and Advocacy Referrals
Louisiana citizens whose  hearing or speech disabilities require the use of a text telephone, telebrailler, or amplification  equipment are eligible for the  LCD Telecommunication Access Program.  The program loans equipment at no charge to eligible deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind, or speech impaired individuals who live in Louisiana.

The Louisiana Commission for the Deaf  publishes an annual Louisiana Directory of Certified Interpreters for the Deaf that  can help you to locate a qualified interpreter to meet your needs.

Distribution Centers are located throughout Louisiana to assist with interpreting services and telecommunication devices.  For more information and assistance, please contact:

Louisiana Commission for the Deaf
8225 Florida Boulevard
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806
(504) 925-4175
1-800-543-2099 TDD     1-800-256-1523 Voice

Distribution Center
Parishes Served
Deaf Action Center of Louisiana (Shreveport)
Patrice Shaw
601 Jordan Street
Shreveport, LA  71101
(318) 425-7781 TT/V
(318) 226-1299 Fax
Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Claiborne, Desoto, Red River and Webster
Deaf Action Center - Northeast (Monroe)
Byron Caldwell
141 DeSiard Street - Suite 807
Monroe, LA  71201
(318) 324-0607 TT/V
(318) 324-0649 Fax
Caldwell, East Carroll, Franklin, Jackson, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Ouachita, Richland, Tensas, Union and West Carroll
New Horizon, Inc. (Alexandria)
Cynthia Pace
1758 Elliot Street - Suites 1 & 2
Alexandria, LA  71301
(318)   487-4322 TT/V
(318)   484-3640 Fax
Avoyelles, Catahoula, Concordia, Grant, LaSalle, Natchitoches, Rapides, Sabine, Vernon and Winn
(Lake Charles) 
Served by New Horizon, Inc.
(800)   968-4322
Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron and Jefferson Davis
Deaf Action Center – Lafayette
Monique Mouton & Debbi Gonzales
1408 Carmel
Lafayette, LA  70501
(318)   232-3463 TT/V/Fax
Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Lafayette, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary and Vermillion
Catholic Deaf Center (Baton Rouge)
Beverly Hills
2585 Brightside Drive
Baton Rouge, LA  70820
(504)   766-9320 V/TT/Fax
Ascension, Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberville, Livingston, Pointe Coupee,   St. James, West Baton Rouge, and   West Feliciana
Deaf Action Center - New Orleans
Sharon Marquez
1000 Howard Avenue, Suite 1200
New Orleans, LA  70113-1916
(504)   523-3755  ext. 2213 V
(504)   525-3323 TT (504)   525-6729 Fax
Jefferson, Lafourche, Orleans, Plaquemine, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist and Terrebonne
Deaf Action Center - North Shore
Valarie Patterson
19352 N. 2nd St. #3
Covington, LA  70433
(504)   892-2581 V
(504)   892-2658 TT/Fax
St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa and Washington

Go to top

Louisiana Rehabilitation Services  (LRS)

Counselor's Name:___________________________________
Address: ___________________________________
Telephone No:___________________________________
Fax No.___________________________________

Mission Statement

To assist persons with disabilities in their desire to obtain or maintain employment and/or to achieve independence in their community by providing rehabilitation services and by working cooperatively with business and other community services.

Philosophy Statement

To fulfill the mission of LRS by increasing public awareness and by using existing resources and developing innovative strategies to identify and meet the needs of persons with disabilities; and to provide individualized, flexible and timely services consistent with informed choice.

What is Vocational Rehabilitation?

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is a program of services that helps persons with disabilities obtain the skills and other resources they need to get a job, keep a job, and develop a lifetime career.

Who should apply for VR?

You should apply if you have a disability and your disability causes you problems in preparing for, finding, or keeping employment.

Who will help me?

When you apply for VR Services, a vocational rehabilitation counselor is assigned to work with you.  Counselors are trained to work with persons who have disabilities and are one of the most important people in your vocational rehabilitation program.

What should I do?

  •    Be open and honest about your disability, your needs, and your feelings.
  •   Ask questions if you do not understand something.
  •   Follow medical or other professional instructions.
  •   Inform your counselor of any changes in your situation.
  •   Keep all appointments and be on time (call your counselor if you cannot keep an appointment).
Basic Steps to Vocational Rehabilitation
  •  Referral & Application
  •  Initial Interview
  •  Evaluation/Assessment
  •  Eligibility
  •  Planning
  •  Services
  •  Employment
  •  Successfully Rehabilitated
Step 1 - Referral & Application

To apply for VR services, contact the LRS office nearest to where you live (a list of offices is printed in the back of this booklet).  You should be prepared to give at least the following information:
  • Name
  • Disability
  • Telephone Number
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
A Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will then contact you either by phone or in writing to schedule an initial interview.  Prior to your interview, you should notify your counselor of any special accommodations you may need.  Appointments are usually made within 30 working days of receiving your request for services.

Step 2 - Initial Interview

During your initial interview, your VR counselor will review and/or complete your application for vocational rehabilitation services with you.  Your counselor will ask you many questions about your disability, education, family and work history to determine your eligibility for vocational rehabilitation services.

To speed the eligibility process, bring the following with you to the initial interview:

  • Medical reports regarding your disability
  • Transcripts and/or grades from high school/college/vocational technical school
  • Reports from other professionals who have provided services to you
  • A description or resume of your work history if you have work experience
Sometimes additional medical exams are needed.  Your counselor may arrange additional examinations for you, including a general physical/specialist examination, psychological and/or a vocational evaluation.  All evaluations - medical, psychological, and vocational - are provided at no cost to you.

You and your VR counselor may also discuss your career plans and possible VR services you may be eligible for that would help you reach your goal of employment.

Step 3 - Evaluation/Assessment

Your VR counselor uses the medical information to evaluate the effects of your disability in your ability to prepare for, get, and keep a job.  A vocational evaluation consisting of a series of tests, activities, and interest inventories is used to learn more about your abilities, skills, interests, and the kinds of jobs that would be best suited for you.

All your medical and vocational information helps your VR counselor determine whether you qualify for VR and what types of services you will need to reach your employment goal.

Step 4 - Eligibility

Your VR counselor will determine if you are eligible for services.  A decision should be reached within 60 days of the date of your application for VR services.

If a decision cannot be made within 60 days, your counselor will explain the reason(s).  You will be provided with the option of:

  • Allowing for an extension of time so that additional information may be gathered; or
  • Choosing to have your counselor use the information you provided.
Eligibility for VR services is made if:
  • You have a physical, mental, learning or emotional disability;
  • You have problems getting or keeping a job because of your disability; and
  • You need VR services to help you prepare for, enter, and/or keep a job.
Extended Evaluation

When there is a question about your employability because of the severe nature of your disability, you are allowed an extended evaluation period.  An extended evaluation period can last for 18 months.  This allows your VR counselor time to determine if employment is a possibility for you.  During the extended evaluation period, you and your counselor will decide which VR services you will need to help your counselor make an eligibility decision.  At any time during the extended evaluation period, your counselor can make a decision to determine your eligibility or ineligibility for VR services.

SSI/SSDI Recipients

An individual who has a disability or who is blind as determined pursuant to Title II or Title XVI of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 401 et. seq. and 1381 et seq.) shall be:

  • considered to be an individual with either a significant disability or a most significant disability, such determination to be made by LRS; and
  • presumed to be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services, provided that the individual intends to achieve an employment outcome.
The Counselor can find an SSDI or an SSI recipient ineligible for vocational rehabilitation services if the Counselor can demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence through the use of trial work experiences that the severity of the individual's disability prohibits the individual from benefitting from vocational rehabilitation services in terms of an employment outcome.

If you are not eligible for VR services, your counselor will explain why and discuss other resources in the community that may help you.

LRS follows an "Order of Selection" for providing vocational rehabilitation services.  This means eligible individuals with the most significant disabilities are given first priority for services.

Step 5 - Planning

Once determined eligible for services, you and your VR counselor work together to plan and develop a vocational rehabilitation program designed just for you!  Deciding on your vocational goal (career) and the VR services you need to reach this goal is the most important part of your VR program, and you should be prepared to give a great deal of thought and planning into making this decision.

During the planning stage, you will be asked to provide documentation regarding your financial status.  You will be required to provide verification of your income (W-2 forms or check stubs), assets, checking and saving accounts.  You will also need to provide verification of any disability related expenses you may have.  Your counselor will complete a budget analysis.  Based on your income, you may be required to pay a portion of the cost of services.

In deciding your vocational goal, you have the option of choosing to develop your own plan or having your VR Counselor help you develop your plan.  This plan is called the "Individualized Plan for Employment."  It identifies your employment goal, time frames for services, and approved service providers necessary for your vocational rehabilitation.    This plan outlines your financial participation in services.  This plan is also referred to as the "IPE", "RS-5", or as the "plan".  This is an important document.  The services outlined on the plan are conditioned on the approval and signature of both you, your LRS counselor, and if required, any supervisory or agency approval, as well as the availability of funds to LRS.

The IPE is reviewed at least annually by you and your VR counselor.  If your situation changes, the IPE is revised accordingly.

Step 6 - Services

Vocational rehabilitation services are provided to help persons who are disabled prepare for, enter, and/or keep employment.  The specific kind(s) and number of services you might need are determined by you and your VR counselor.  Services are based on your individual needs; therefore, the types of services you receive may differ from services that other individuals receive.  Not everyone requires the same or every service.

To achieve your employment goals, VR can provide a wide range of services:

  • Medical examinations (general physical, psychological, or other specialists' examinations).
  • Vocational evaluation of interests, skills, and abilities for future work.
  • Vocational guidance.
  • Career counseling.
  • Physical or mental restoration services that could include mental health counseling, speech therapy, physical therapy, etc.
  • Training - universities, colleges, technical schools, apprenticeship programs, on-the-job training, supported employment, etc.
  • Rehabilitation devices - medical equipment necessary for employment (wheelchairs, prostheses, glasses, self-help devices, etc.)
  • Rehabilitation engineering - assistance with job site modification (changing lighting, adapting a telephone, tool, or computer, etc.); and training on the use of modified equipment.
  • Job placement.
  • Follow up after employment to ensure job success.
If you would like a complete list of services LRS offers,
 ask your VR counselor.

LRS always looks for the most cost-effective way to provide services without giving up quality.  You and your counselor will look into other available resources that could assist in the cost of your vocational rehabilitation program.

Please remember that LRS cannot pay for past bills, or for services and purchases that are not included on your IPE.

Step 7 - Employment

All planned services relate to preparing you for a job.  After successfully completing your planned services,  you are ready for employment.  Finding a job takes a lot of work, but together you and your VR counselor can match your skills with a job.  You may discover that this is the most difficult part of the whole vocational rehabilitation process.  So, it is important that you actively look for a job.

Your VR counselor and/or a job placement specialist will help you with your job search.  They can help you:

  • Complete application forms.
  • Develop a resume.
  • Prepare for an interview.
  • Conduct your job search.
  • Find job leads.
Step 8 - Successfully Rehabilitated

Once you are employed, your counselor will continue to work with you for an additional 90 days.  During this 90 day period, your VR counselor will meet with you, and if you approve, your employer, to determine your job satisfaction.

Sometimes, unforeseen problems can occur that put you at risk of losing your job.  If this happens, contact your VR counselor immediately for assistance.  Often, your counselor can help you recognize and work out the problem and/or provide services you might need to maintain your job.

If your case has been closed as successfully rehabilitated, but you need additional short-term services to help you maintain your current employment, you should ask your VR counselor about post-employment services.

Post-employment services are available to meet any simple, short-term rehabilitation need(s) you have after employment.

You are in charge of your vocational rehabilitation program, but it is also a "team" effort.  To make your rehabilitation a success, you and your counselor must work together.

Vocational Rehabilitation works better if you:

  • Take an active part in planning and making decisions.
  • Ask questions anytime you do not understand something.
  • Stay in regular contact with the people working with you.
  • Follow through with all the agreed upon activities.
  • Keep your counselor advised of anything that changes your ability to complete your VR program.
  • Ask your counselor for any help you need during any part of your VR program.
  • Actively seek employment when you are job ready.
  • Tell your counselor when you get a job.
You are responsible for making sure that the rehabilitation plan developed by you and your counselor meets your needs.


You have certain rights.  It is important that you know and understand your rights.  You have the right to:

  • Apply for VR services.
  • Be treated with respect.
  • Be evaluated fairly and completely to have your eligibility determined.
  • Receive a determination of eligibility within 60 days of application or agree to extend this period of time.
  • Know why you are considered ineligible for services.
  • Be referred to other agencies and facilities as appropriate.
  • Appeal any decision or denial of service through either an administrative review and/or a fair hearing.
  • Receive an explanation of the help available through the Client Assistance Program.
  • Receive an assessment of your need for post-employment services.
Go to top


Your counselor will ask you to provide personal information about yourself to understand your disability, determine your eligibility, and plan your vocational rehabilitation program.  A case record is developed to keep all your information together.  All case record information is confidential.

LRS may share your information with certain individuals and/or agencies if they are also working with you.  LRS may provide your information to:

  • Office of Mental Health.
  • Office of Substance Abuse.
  • Office of Family Support.
  • Louisiana Department of Labor.
  • Louisiana State Department of Education, Office of Special Education, and Office of Vocational Education.
  • Social Security Administration.
  • Office of Citizens with Developmental Disabilities.
  • Louisiana Student Aid Association.
  • Office of Community Services.
  • Doctors, hospitals, clinics, and rehabilitation centers providing services to clients as authorized by LRS.
  • U. S.  Department of Labor.
  • Schools and/or training centers when LRS has authorized the service.
  • Department of Public Safety and Corrections.
  • Colleges and universities.
  • Parish school boards and educational officials responsible for providing secondary education.
  • Military services of the U. S. Government.
LRS will not release your information to any other individual or agency without your informed consent.  The only exception is to protect you or others if you are a threat to your own safety or the safety of others.

Client Assistance Program

You can request help from the Client Assistance Program (CAP) at any time to resolve problems or misunderstandings that occur during your vocational rehabilitation program.  CAP is independent of LRS, and provides advocacy and information free of charge.

CAP has offices in both north and south Louisiana.  The Shreveport office serves the area north of Alexandria, and the New Orleans office serves the area south of Alexandria.
Advocacy Center
2620 Centenary Blvd., Bldg. 2, Suite 248
Shreveport, LA 71104
(318) 865-6186 (V/TDD)
Advocacy Center
225 Baronne Street, Suite 2112
New Orleans, LA 70112-2112
(504) 522-2337

CAP's toll-free number is 1-800-960-7705.
TDD is available on all telephone lines.

Appeals Process

You should be very satisfied with the decisions or services you receive from LRS.  However, sometimes a concern or problem may occur.  If this happens, you should:

  • Discuss the situation with your counselor or your counselor's supervisor; they may be willing to consider other possibilities and give valid reasons if alternatives are not appropriate.  Most issues can be resolved at this level.
  • If the problem cannot be resolved, ask for an Administrative Review (an informal meeting) with the LRS Regional Manager.
  • If the problem is still not resolved after the administrative review, request a Fair Hearing.
(NOTE: It is not required that an Administrative Review be conducted in order for you to request and receive a Fair Hearing.  However, an Administrative Review can, in many situations, result in a faster solution of your problem.)

To request an Administrative Review or a Fair Hearing, you must:

  • Request the appeal in writing to the Regional Manager.
  • Describe the decision or action you need to have resolved.
  • Include your name, address, and telephone number.
  • Sign and mail or deliver the request to the LRS Regional Manager.
Administrative Reviews are held and final decisions are given within fifteen (15) calendar days of receipt of your request.  Most appeals are resolved by the Administrative Review.  A Fair Hearing is a more formal process conducted by an Impartial Hearing Officer selected from a pool of approved hearing officers.  The Impartial Hearing Officer hears both sides of the issue, weighs the facts of your case, and makes a decision based on federal and state laws and LRS policy.  A Fair Hearing decision report is provided to you within thirty (30) calendar days of the date of your hearing.

In a mediation session, both you and LRS will equally exchange information and offer solutions for an agreement, not the impartial mediator.  If an agreement is reached, it is put in writing, both you and LRS sign, and the agreement becomes binding.  You leave with the signed agreement at the end of the meeting.  If no agreement is reached, you can still request a fair hearing.

At the Administrative Review, Fair Hearing, or Mediation Session (if applicable), you should:

  • Clearly state your concerns and possible solutions.
  • Have a clear idea of what you will and will not accept as a solution to your problem/request.
  • Bring documentation that supports your position.
  • If you choose, have a representative (family member, friend, attorney, or CAP) present.
You should notify the Impartial Hearing Officer or Impartial Mediator in advance if you plan to have a representative or witness(es) at your Fair Hearing or Mediation Session.

Go to top


Independent Living Services are provided to help persons with the most severe disabilities who are unable to work, live, and function independently within the family or community.

You may be eligible for Independent Living Services if:

  • You have a severe physical or mental disability that limits your ability to function independently; and
  • You will benefit from independent living services in terms of improving your ability to function, continue functioning, or move towards functioning independently within the family or the community.
If you are eligible, some of the services include:
  • Counseling - to help you adjust to your disability.
  • Personal Care Attendant - someone to assist you with your daily living needs.
  • Home Modifications - a ramp, grab bars, etc.
  • Rehabilitation Devices - prostheses, wheelchairs, lifts, etc.
  • Interpreter and reader services.
  • Other services that may help you live independently or become eligible for vocational rehabilitation services.

Independent Living Centers

In addition to LRS's Independent Living Program, there are three Independent Living Centers located in Louisiana.

New Horizons, Inc
6670 St. Vincent Avenue 
Shreveport, LA 71106 
Telephone: (318) 865-1000 
Fax: (318) 865-1094 

Resources of Independent Living, Inc.
1555 Poydras St., Suite 1500
New Orleans, LA 70112
Telephone: (504) 522-1955
Fax: (504) 522-1954

Southwest Louisiana Independence Center, Inc.
3505 5th Avenue, Suite A-2
Lake Charles, LA 70605
Telephone: (318) 477-7194
Fax: (318) 477-7198

Although services may vary among the centers, each offers:

  •  Information and referral services.
  •  Peer counseling.
  •  Independent living skills training. 
  •  Advocacy.
Go to top

Louisiana Rehabilitation Services
Regional Offices

If you have questions that were not answered, please be sure to contact your regional vocational rehabilitation office.  All our office numbers are TDD equipped for persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired, and each office has a toll-free number that can be used in Louisiana.  Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Region 1 
New Orleans Regional Office
3500 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70119
(504) 568-8854   (V/TDD)
1-800-737-2875 (In State)
Region 5
Lake Charles Regional Office
3616 Kirkman Street
Lake Charles, LA 70605
(337) 475-8038 (V/TDD)
1-800-520-0589 (In State)
Region 2
Baton Rouge Regional Office
3651 Cedarcrest Avenue
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
(225) 295-8900 (V/TDD)
1-800-737-2959 (In State)
Region 6
Alexandria Regional Office
900 Murray Street
Alexandria, LA 71301
(318) 487-5335 (V/TDD)
Region 3
Houma Regional Office
1198 Barrow Street 
P. O. Box 469
Houma, LA 70361-0469
(504) 857-3652 (V/TDD)
1-800-520-0584 (In State)
Region 7
Shreveport Regional Office
1525 Fairfield, Room 708
Shreveport, LA 71101
(318) 676-7155 (V/TDD)
1-800-737-2966 (In State)
Region 4
Lafayette Regional Office
825 Kaliste Saloom Road
Brandywine VI, Suite 350
Lafayette, LA 70508
(337) 262-5353 (V/TDD)
1-800-520-0587 (In State)
Region 8
Monroe Regional Office
State Office Bldg., Room 311
122 St. John Street
Monroe, LA 71201
(318) 362-3232 (V/TDD)
1-800-737-2973 (In State)

Parishes Served by Each  Regional Office

New Orleans - Region 1
Jefferson  St. Charles
Orleans  St. James
Plaquemine  St. John
St. Bernard  St. Tammany
Lake Charles - Region 5
Jefferson Davis
Baton Rouge - Region 2
East Baton Rouge
East Feliciana
Pointe Coupee
St. Helena
West Baton Rouge
West Feliciana Alexandria - Region 6
Houma - Region 3
Terrebonne Shreveport - Region 7
Bienville  Lincoln
Bossier  Natchitoches
Caddo   Red River
Claiborne  Sabine
DeSoto  Webster
Lafayette - Region 4
Acadia  St. Landry
Evangeline  St. Martin
Iberia   St. Mary
Lafayette  Vermilion Monroe - Region 8
Caldwell  Ouachita
East Carroll  Richland
Franklin  Tensas
Jackson  Union
Madison  West Carroll
(Revised 09/99) 

Go to top

RELAY service

Access numbers to place a relay call:

1-800-947-5277 telephone
1-800-846-5277 TTY, TDD, Text Telephone
1-888-550-5277 ASCII
1-888-699-6869 Customer Service

1.     What is the Louisiana Relay Service?

The Louisiana Relay is a telecommunication service mandated by Act 660 of the Louisiana State Legislative to provide a state wide telecommunication relay service for the deaf, hard of hearing, speech disabled and deaf /blind. The Louisiana Public Service Commission has provided the administration of this service and service was inaugurated on January 15, 1993. Hamilton Telecommunications provides relay service under contract with the state.

The relay provides a vital link for telephone communication between people who are unable to hear or speak and those who can hear. Many people who are unable to use a conventional telephone because of hearing or speech impairment can utilize a text telephone (also called a TTY or a TDD).

A text telephone is a device that allows a person to type and read their telephone conversations instead of listening and speaking. However, if a text telephone user wishes to "talk" on the phone with a conventional (hearing) telephone user, they must use the relay by using the VCO feature. Hamilton employs skilled Communication Assistant (CAs) who acts as the "invisible link" between TTY and conventional phone users.  CAs "connect" relay users by speaking everything typed by a TTY user and typing everything spoken by a conventional telephone user. By using the relay, text telephone users can call anyone they want, even if that person does not have special equipment.

Both TTY and hearing users can access the relay 24 hours a day through a toll-free number (1-846-5277 by TTY and 1-947-5277 by Voice).  No sign-up is required, and the only charge is regular long distance fees if a user chooses to place a long distance call.  There is no charge to access the relay or to place a local call.

2.    What are the relay service hours of operation?

All relay services offered by Hamilton are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is no time limit on your calls and no charge to make a local relay call. (Note: regular long distance fees apply to all long distance relay calls).

3.    How confidential are relay calls?

All calls handled by Hamilton's Relay Service are kept strictly confidential. As required by law, CAs can not disclose any information from a relay conversation, and no records of any relay conversation are saved in any format.

4.     How is a relay call placed?

To use the Louisiana Relay Service, simply follow the steps below and enjoy your conversation.

1-800-846-5277  TTY / VCO / HCO
1-888-550-5277  ASCII
1-800-947-5277  VOICE

  1. Dial the relay number shown under the kind of calling equipment you use.  If you use a text telephone (TTY/TDD) or VCO phone, dial the "Text Telephone" number. If you connect to the relay using ASCII code from your computer, dial the ASCII number. Finally, for hearing people who use a conventional telephone, dial the voice number.
  2. A  Louisiana Relay Communication Assistant (CA) will answer your call by typing or speaking his/her identification number and requesting the number you want to call. Tell the CA the number of the person you want to call, including the area code.
  3. Once the person you are calling answers, the CA will inform him/her that they have a relay call and then you will be able to begin your conversation. When using the relay, direct your conversation to the person you are calling and say "Go Ahead" or type "GA" to indicate it is the other person's turn to respond.
5. What equipment is required to place a relay call?

The Louisiana Commission for the Deaf will loan a variety of specialized assistive equipment to any qualified resident of Louisiana to place relay calls.  Hearing people do not need any special equipment or services to place a relay call. They only need the relay 800 number to place or receive a relay call.

6. How much does it cost to purchase text telephone or amplified telephone equipment?

 There is no cost for loaning this equipment by the state. The cost for state purchase of text telephones and other assertive equipment is funded through a surcharge of 11 cents on every home and business telephone service line in the state.

7. What other types of relay calls are available for consumers to use?

  • Voice Carry Over (VCO)
Voice Carry Over is an ideal calling option for a person who does not have sufficient hearing to use a conventional telephone but has understandable speech.  Voice Carry Over allows the text telephone user to speak directly to the party they are calling.  Responses from the conventional telephone user are then typed by the Communication Assistant (CA) for the VCO user to read.

If you would like to use Voice Carry Over, simply type, "VCO PLS," at the beginning of the relay call.  Once the CA responds with the message, "VCO CONNECTED," you should voice to the CA the number you want to call.  After VCO is connected, the CA can no longer read your TTY type.

  •  Hearing Carry Over (HCO)
A person who is able to hear using a conventional telephone but is unable to speak will benefit from Hearing Carry Over.  HCO allows the text telephone user to listen directly to what the conventional telephone user says.  The HCO user can then type their response, which will be voiced by the Communication Assistant.

If you would like to use HCO, simply type, "HCO PLS," at the beginning of the relay call.

8. What is a Customer Profile?

A customer profile is a form that contains information about your call preferences, your long-distance carrier, your 10 favorite phone numbers, special services you may request such as customized greetings, spell check or translation services.  This information you provide to the relay which will help the relay process your calls much faster, than if you do not have one.  It is confidential information that is only changed or deleted at your request.  You may get a Customer Profile by calling the customer services number.

9. What does a Customer Profile cost to implement and how often can I change it?

There is no cost for having a customer profile completed, changed or deleted.  If you wish to add/change information on your profile, simply state your password to a customer service representative, your telephone number and name and you will be asked what information you want to add or change.  These changes will be added into the system within 48 hours.

10. When I am traveling how can I use the relay from another state to call someone in Louisiana?

If you are traveling out of Louisiana you may use the relay service in the state you are calling from or you may use the Louisiana Relay Service's interstate relay service which is provided by Hamilton Telecommunications.

11. Can a relay call be placed from a pay telephone?

The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) ruled on November 1, 1995 that there would be no charge for local relay calls from pay phones, and all long distance relay calls made from a pay phone would require the caller to use a calling card or alternative billing method (including collect calls and calls charged to a third party).

There are many benefits to the pay phone rule made by the FCC.  First, placing a local relay call from a pay phone is free!  This means that if you need to make a quick call when you are away from home, you do not have to pay for the call if it is not long distance.  Second, having a calling card means you will always be prepared to make an unexpected call.

You can use any kind of calling or pre-paid card through every relay in the United States.  Your call will cost no more than the same long distance call would have cost using coins.  Using a calling card through the relay is easy!  Simply dial the relay and tell the CA how to use your card (most calling cards have instructions on the back).  To purchase a calling card, contact your local or long distance telephone company.  If your company does not sell calling cards, they should be able to refer you to someone who does.  The LRS provides free relay information cards for customers who use pay phones to call someone through the relay.

12. Can a cellular phone be used to make a relay call?

Cellular phones can be used to place relay calls but digital phones are still incompatible with relay services.  Digital phones, such as Sprint's PCS phone or Ericsson phones, use a new type of coding that sends pulsing signals to cellular towers.  The result for hearing people is a clearer conversation than what was previously available with the more common analog phones.  However, for TTY users, the pulses from a digital phone distort TTY tones causing garbled conversations.  Currently, digital phone companies are working on a remedy for this problem.

Only analog cellular phones are reliable and technically able to provide a signal link for TTY (baudot) transmissions.  Most text telephones today carry baudot so if you are interested in getting cellular telephone makes sure it is an analog product.

Consult a state or regional text telephone vendor for additional information on all the analog supported products on the market today for paging, messaging, e-mail and cellular services.

13. How can I arrange for a relay representative to give a relay presentation at my worksite or business for people I work with?

For more information on Outreach Services or to schedule a workshop contact:

LRS Outreach Coordinator's Office at:
(225) 291-4500 Voice/TTY or Customer Service: 1-888-699-6869
Fax: (225) 293-3583

Go to top]

Abbreviations / Acronyms

These are the abbreviations that many deaf/hard of hearing people do use; however not all of them are used by the same people.  Abbreviations vary from state to state.  These are the most commonly used words.
ABT    About  DEPT   Department  MTG  Meeting  TDD  Telecommunication
Device for the Deaf
ACCT   Account DR   Doctor NE   Do not Explain Relay TECH  Technician
AM   Morning FWD   Forward NBR   Number THOT  Thought
ANS   Answer GA   Go Ahead NI  Do Not Identify Relay THRU  Through
Answering Machine
GOVT   Government  OFC  Office THX  Thanks
ANS SERVICE Answering Service HAHA   Laughing OIC  Oh, I See TMR  Tomorrow
APPT   Appointment HLD   Hold OPR  Operator TMW  Tomorrow
APT   Apartment HD   Hold PBLM  Problem TT  Text-Telephone
AVE   Avenue HOSP   Hospital  PLS  Please TTY  Teletypewriter 
BDAY   Birthday HR   Hour PM  Evening or Afternoon U  You
BECUZ  Because ILY   I love you QQQ  Missed Information UR  Your
BLVD   Boulevard IRLY   I really love you Q  Question VR  Vocational
CA   Communication Assistance INC   Incorporated  R  Are WUD  Would
CCC   Credit Card Call  INFO   Information Rew  Rewind XOXOXO Hugs and Kisses
CORP   Corporation LRS   LA Relay Service RD   Road XXX  Mistake
CUD   Could MIN   Minute SHUD  Should
CO   Company  MIN PLS   One moment please SK  Stop Keying
CUZ   Because MSG    Message ST   Street
DDD   Direct Distance Dialing

Days of the week, Months of the year are abbreviated as:



Go to top


Access Numbers
Customer Service
Alabama AT&T (V) 800-548-2547
(T) 800-548-2546
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Alaska GCI  (V) 800-770-8255 
(T) 800-770-8973
(V/T) 800-770-6770
Arizona  Sprint (V) 800-367-8939 
(T) 800-842-4681
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Arkansas  MCI (V) 800-285-1121 
(T) 800-285-1131
(V/T) 800-285-7192
California  MCI


(V) 800-735-2922
(T) 800-735-2929
(A) 800-735-0091
(Speech to Speech)  800-854-7784
(Spanish)  800-855-3000

(V) 888-877-5379 
(T) 888-877-5378
(T) 877-735-2929
(A) 888-877-5380
(Spanish)  888-877-5381

(V) 800-735-0373
(T) 800-735-0193

(V/T) 800-676-3777

Colorado Sprint (V) 800-659-3656
(T) 800-659-2656
(A) 800-659-4656
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Connecticut Sprint (V) 800-833-8134
(T/A) 800-842-9710
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Delaware AT&T (V) 800-232-5470
(T) 800-232-5460
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
District of  Columbia AT&T (V) 202-855-1000
(T) 202-855-1234
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Florida MCI (V) 800-955-8770 
(T) 800-955-8771
(V/T) 800-955-1478
Georgia AT&T (V) 800-255-0135
(T) 800-255-0056
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Hawaii  GTE (V) 511 (In State)
(T) 711 (In State) 
(V) 808-546-2565
(T) 808-643-8833
Ask for the supervisor
at TRS number.
Idaho  Hamilton (V) 800-377-1363 
(T) 800-377-3529
(V/T) 800-368-6185
Illinois  AT&T (V) 800-526-0857 
(T) 800-526-0844 
(V/ Spanish)    800-501-0865
(T/ Spanish)    800-501-0864
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Indiana  Sprint (T/V/A) 800-743-3333 
(T, 900) 900-230-3323
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Iowa  Sprint (V) 800-735-2943 
(T/A) 800-735-2942
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Kansas  SW Bell (V/T/A) 800-766-3777 Ask for TRS Supervisor at relay number
Kentucky  Hamilton (V) 800-648-6057 
(T) 800-648-6056
(V/T) 888-662-2406
Louisiana  Hamilton (V) 800-946-5277 
(T) 800-846-5277
(V/T) 888-699-6869
Maine  AT&T  AT&T (V) 800-457-1220 
(T) 800-437-1220 
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Maryland  Sprint  (V/T/A) 800-735-2258 
(V/T) 711 (In State)
(V/T) 800-785-5630 
Speech to Speech 
(T/900) 900-386-3323
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Massachusetts  MCI (T/A) 800-439-2370 
(V) 800-439-0183
(V/T) 800-720-3480
Michigan  Ameritech (V/T/A) 800-649-3777 
(V/T) 800-432-5413
(V/T) 800-432-0762
Minnesota  Sprint (V/T/A) 800-627-3529 
(T/900) 900-246-3323
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Mississippi  AT&T (T) 800-582-2233 
(V) 800-855-1000 
(  ) 800-855-1234
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Missouri  Sprint (V) 800-735-2466 
(T/A) 800-735-2966
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Montana  Sprint (V) 800-253-4093 
(T/A) 800-253-4091
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Nebraska  Hamilton (V) 800-833-0920 
(T) 800-833-7352
(V/T) 800-322-5299
Nevada  Sprint (V) 800-326-6888 
(T/A) 800-326-6868
(V/T) 800-676-3777
New Hampshire  Sprint (V/T/A) 800-735-2964  (V/T) 800-676-3777
New Jersey  AT&T (V) 800-852-7897 
(T) 800-852-7899 
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
New Mexico  Sprint (V) 800-659-1779 
(T/A) 800-659-8331
(V/T) 800-676-3777
New York  Sprint (V) 800-421-1220 
(T) 800-662-1220
(A) 800-584-2849
(TB) 800-662-1220
(VCO) 877-826-6977
(V/T) 800-676-3777
North Carolina  MCI (V) 800-735-0341 
(T) 800-735-0533 
(V) 800-374-4852
(T) 800-374-4833
North Dakota  Sprint  (V) 800-366-6889 
(T/A) 800-366-6888
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Ohio  Sprint  (V/T/A) 800-750-0750  (V/T) 800-676-3777
Oklahoma  Sprint   (V) 800-522-8506 
(T) 800-722-0353
(A) 800-522-5065State 
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Oregon  Sprint  Sprint  (V) 800-735-1232
(T) 800-735-2900 
(A) 800735-0644
(V/T Spanish)   800-735-3896
(T/900)    900-568-3323
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Pennsylvania  AT&T (V) 800-654-5988 
(T) 800-654-5984 
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Rhode Island  AT&T (V) 800-745-6575 
(T) 800-745-5555 
(A) 800-745-1570
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
South Carolina  Sprint (V) 800-735-2905 
(T) 800-735-8583
(A) 800-735-7293
(T/900) 900-535-3323
(Speech to Speech)  877-735-7277
(V/T) 800-676-3777
South Dakota  Sprint (V/T/A) 800-877-1113   (V/T) 800-676-3777
Tennessee  AT&T (V) 800-848-0299 
(T) 800-848-0298 
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Texas  Sprint (V) 800-735-2988 
(T) 800-735-2989
(A) 800-735-2991
(T/900)  900-230-2303
(V/T) 800-676-3777
Utah  Utah Assn. 
for Deaf
(V/T) 800-346-4128  (V/T) 801-295-8245
Outside Salt Lake & Davis Counties
(V/T) 801-298-9484
Inside Salt Lake & Davis Counties
Vermont  AT&T (V) 800-253-0195 
(T) 800-253-0191 
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Virginia  AT&T (V) 800-828-1140 
(T) 800-828-1120 
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Washington  Sprint (V) 800-833-6384 
(T) 800-833-6388 
(TB) 800-833-6385
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
West Virginia  AT&T (V) 800-982-8772 
(T) 800-982-8771 
(V) 800-682-8706
(T) 800-682-8786
Wisconsin Hamilton (V) 800-947-6644
(A) 800-272-1773
(T) 800-947-3529
(Speech-to-Speech)  800-833-7637
(V) 800-947-6644
(T) 800-283-9877
Wyoming Sprint (V) 800-877-9975 
(T/A) 800-877-9965
(T/900) 900-463-3323
(V/T) 800-676-3777

National Relay Services

AT&T National Relay
800-855-2880 /T
800-855-2881 /V
800-855-2882 /A
800-855-2883 /Telebraille
AT&T Spanish Relay
800-855-2884 /T
800-855-2885 /V
800-855-2886 /A
Federal Information Relay Service (Sprint)
800-877-8339 / T, V, ASCII
MCI National Relay
800-688-4889 /T
800-947-8642 /V
Hamilton Relay 
800-833-5833 / T 
800-833-7833 /V
Sprint National Relay
800-877-8973 / T, V, ASCII, Spanish
877-826-2255/ VCO
Directory Assistance
Using Relay: (area code) 555-1212

Operator Services for the Deaf

AT&T: 800-855-1155 / T  MCI: 800-688-4486 /T Sprint: 800-855-4000 / T

Brochures and other literature are available through the Louisiana Relay Service Outreach Coordinator's office. 

Go to top

Web Links for Students
 Internet Resources Related to Hearing Loss

This site contains a list of links to help you find information on hearing loss and related issues. Much of this information was gleaned from posts to the Beyond-Hearing e-mail discussion list. Visit the Beyond-Hearing website for information and links on a multitude of hearing loss issues, or better yet, find out how to join the list and others like it.

Please note: Businesses are listed here as an information service to consumers.
We cannot endorse any businesses or products listed here.

This page was last revised 8/27/01 
         As of the above date all links were correct.  However, due to the changing nature of the Internet it is possible that some sites have moved to new addresses or have been taken down.

Hearing Loss Websites / Captioning and Captioned Films / Cochlear Implants
Companies Selling Assistive Devices / Deaf Consumer Groups / Other / Cued Speech
Deaf/BlindFederal Law, ADA, Accessibility Info / Lists of Links / Medical Issues
Postsecondary - Employment / Realtime Captioning - Computer Assisted Notetaking
Sign Language - Interpreting / Telephone Technology / E-Mail Discussion Groups

Hearing Loss Websites

Adaptive Technology and Technical Assistance
Includes computer/internet accessibility. See also Federal Law

Better Hearing Institute

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Access Program
Includes a DHHAP Technical Assistance and Information Center webpage with 10 pages of links to documents on ADA, hearing loss, technology, captioning and more. Check it out!

Educational Audiology Association

Info on fitting and selecting hearing aids, ALDs, etc.

More info on fitting and selecting hearing aids, ALDs, etc.

Microsoft Accessibility Technology for Everybody

National Assistive Device Center

Nonprofit and disability websites
Related to communication disorders, deafness, advocacy, etc.

Project EASI
Equal Access to Software and Information

Technology Access Program
at Gallaudet's Research Institute

Oregon State University's Technology Access Program


Captioning and Captioned Films

For CART (Computer Assisted Realtime Transcription) see Realtime Captioning.

The Caption Center

Captioned Media Program
Huge library of captioned films to choose from. Enter a title and see if they have a captioned version of it! Great site for educators!

Microsoft's New Captioning Technology

National Center for Accessible Media (CPB/WGBH)

Cochlear Implants

See also Cochlear Implant Forum under E-mail Discussion Groups.

Advanced Bionics/Clarion 'Bionic Ear'

Cochlear Corporation

Sound of Silence: the Development of Cochlear Implants Reference Page


Turned On: Cochlear Implants for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons by Beverly Biderman.
See rave reviews for her new book Wired for Sound: A Journey into Hearing. University of Arkansas at Little Rock

Companies Selling Assistive Devices

Catalogs are a great way to learn about assistive technology and what is available!

Ahearingaid Internet Wholesale Dealer
(includes hearing questionnaire) 1-800-468-9298

AVR Sonovation's Extend-Ear RX series
(BTE/FM system) 1-800-462 -8336

Centrum Sound
Phone: 408-736-6500 Fax:  408-736-6552



General Technologies
1-800-328-6684 (v/tty); 916-962-9225 (v/tty); 916-961-9823 (fax)

HARC Mercantile
800-445-9968 Voice/TTY

Harris Communications, Inc.
Sells wide variety of devices from classroom-use Assistive Listening Devices to amplified stethyscopes. 1-800-825-6758 (voice); 1-800-825-9187 (tty)

1-800-881-4327 (voice); 1-800-281-3555 (tty)

Hearing Resources
Web pages are very nicely done. Lots of pictures with descriptions of devices and how they are used.

Hearing, Speech and Deafness Center

Hello Direct

1-800-288-8303 / 1-800-536-8890 TTY  /1-888-654-9219 FAX
They sell an amplified 900 MHZ cordless phone, with jack for headset, headphones or neckloop. Amplified up to 30dB gain.

LS&S Group
Specializing in products for the visually and hearing impaired. 1-800-468-4789 (voice); 1-800-317-8533 (tty)


neat section on hearing aid history

Pacific Coasts Laboratories
"Acoustically tuned earpieces for better hearing" (continuous flow adaptors, earmolds) (pictures and descriptions) Telephone 800-351-2770 FAX  510-351-6905

wireless FM hearing aids, multi-microphone technology

Potomac Technology
1-800-433-2838 (Voice/TTY)

Weitbrecht Communications
1-800-233-9130 V/TTY

Consumer Organizations and Consumer Web Pages

ALDA-Association of Late Deafened Adults
 National ALDA Organization

Deaf Consumer Groups

Deaf Artists of America, Inc.
716-244-3460 tty

Deaf Women United, Inc.
503-624-7688 tty

National Association of the Deaf

National Black Deaf Advocates

National Theatre of the Deaf

IFHoH-International Federation of Hard of Hearing People
International Federation of Hard of Hearing People

SHHH-Self Help for Hard of Hearing Persons

National SHHH Organization
Includes an on-line catalog of publications and articles on a wide variety of hearing loss topics. Also includes a list of state chapters and contact info.


Central Arkansas SHHH

Derbytown SHHH

Montgomery County MD

North Carolina
Site includes glossary including definition of T-Coils, ALDs, Silhouettes, FM, IR, DAI, etc. Use the index on the left of the page and select "Glossary".

Oregon SHHH
"Once they get a hold of you, you'll never be the same!" --a *satisfied* member of the Eugene Chapter of SHHH

Beyond-Hearing Member Pages

Beyond-Hearing Bios
Contains biographies and articles about living with hearing loss contributed by various members of the Beyond-Hearing e-mail list.

Demystifying Assistive Listening Devices

Dana Mulvany's home page:
covers basic options to consider in choosing a hearing aid. She has many interesting pages on a wide variety of consumer topics.

Deaf Info Page

EDEN-The Electronic Deaf Education Network
includes 'The Parent's Place' chatroom

Hearing Resources

Ron Vickery's home page
Discussion of silhouettes and neckloops

Travel tips for hard of hearing individuals

Other Consumer Organizations

Alexander Graham Bell

Boys Town National Research Hospital

League for the Hard of Hearing

Mobility International, USA

Parents of Hard of Hearing/Deaf Children

Sertoma Club
Nonprofit, civic organization devoted to speech-language and hearing causes.

Cued Speech

Cued Speech FAQ

Hearing Resources Pages: Cued Speech



Deaf-Blind Information

National Information Clearinghouse on Children who are Deaf-Blind 

Federal Law, ADA, Accessibility Info
ADA Hotline: 1-800-949-4232

ADA & Disability Info
provides an assortment of links to ADA and disability related URLs, including ADA, education, rehabilitation services, products, and non-profit organizations

American Government-ADA sites-IDEA & Sec 504

The Kansas Commission on Disability Concerns 
Formerly ADA Information Center On-Line 

Americans with Disabilities Act Document Center

Demographic Aspects of Hearing Impairment
(Center for Assessment and Demographic Studies, Gallaudet University) (1990/91 data)

Disability Access Information and Support

Federal Register today
February 3, 1998, The Access Board's 'Final Rule' re Sec. 255 of the Telecommunication Act

General Services Administration

GSA WWW Accessibility Guidelines

Guide to Disability Rights Laws
overview of eight Federal laws

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - Download the Act and use your word processor to search the document for topics of interest!

The Policymaking Partnership for Implementing IDEA:
Site includes transcripts of 1999 satellite telecasts on IDEA.

Section 508 Questions and Answers

Technology Assistive Resource Program 1-800-342-5832

Workforce Investment Act of 1998

Summaries of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 - check out Title Report 105-659 - Rehab Act Reauthorization.
You can see just how much is covered in the act at this site.
You can request a copy of the entire act (it is a large volume) at no charge from the Senate Document Room by faxing 202-228-2815.

Jane Jarrow's web pages
provide an analysis of the issues involved for higher education - such as the issue of cooperative agreements for support service costs in the postsecondary setting.

AHEAD  - Association on Higher Education and Disability
has also been actively involved in the debate about support service costs in the postsecondary setting.

Lists of Links

Audiology Net
Audiology Information for the Masses (extensive lists under headings Hearing Aids and Anatomy of the Ear):

DeafWeb Washington
Lists newsletters (many online links), Newsgroups and ListServs, Chat Sites, and Newspaper and Radio sites.

Hearing and Hearing Disorders
HUGE list described as a 'virtual textbook of pointers'. Includes a link to the Hearing Loss Simulator Site

Internet Resources Related to Hearing Loss

PEPNet Resource Center Internet Resource List

Medical Issues

Audiology Net
Links to a wide variety of medical issues including tinnitus, meniere's, vertigo, otosclerosis, and protecting hearing.

American Tinnitus Association

Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)

Hearing Health Magazine

Inner Ear Disease


Ototoxic Drugs

From the New York State Association of SHHH Reporter - Sound Levels to Avoid


Vestibular Disorders Association

Virtual Tour of the Ear


ADARA American Deafness and Rehabilitation Association

Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD)

Gallaudet University

Disseminates information related to disability issues in postsecondary education.

Job Accommodations Network
(800)526-7234 (v/tty)


University of Arkansas Research and Training Center for Persons who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing:
research in employment, VR, and postsecondary education. Rehabilitation Research and Training Center for Persons who are Hard of Hearing or Late Deafened

Realtime Captioning / Computer-Assisted Notetaking

C-Print - A project developed by Northeast Technical Assistance Center (NETAC).
 NETAC is one of the 4 regional centers making up PEPNet.

Derbytown SHHH Cart

National Court Reporters Foundation
Contact 703-556-6289 (tty) 703-556-6291 (fax) 800-272-6272 (voice) for information on qualified CART providers in your area.

 949-399-9200 (voice); 949-399-9273 (tty)
Services include captioning videos, producing transcripts of videos, and remote  realtime captioning.

Sign Language/Interpreting

See also Postsecondary Interpreter Network under E-mail Discussion Groups.

American Sign Language Teachers Association

ASL Dictionary on the Internet

Interpreter Education Project
Lists contact info for each RSA regional project on interpreter education.

National Multicultural Interpreter Project (NMIP)

Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc.

Sign Enhancers, Inc.

Sign Language Fonts

Video Remote Interpreting

Telephone Technology

Access Able Relay List

Telus Mobility
 (hearing aid compatible)

Federal Relay Service

Sprint Relay


E-Mail Discussion Groups

E-mail discussion groups are a great way to be in touch with others around the world who have similar interests. These lists are formed around a topic or interest, and you join the list by signing on to receive everyone's posts. There are lists formed around specific dog breeds, computer programs, and social and political interests. Some lists are pretty quiet, with less than 10 messages a day being sent to your mailbox. Other lists are very busy, and if you do not check your e-mail regularly, you can easily fill you mailbox to its limit. (For a more exact description, see About Electronic Mailing Lists.)

How to Subscribe:

Send an e-mail message to the linked addresses below. The message should be either:
subscribe NameOfList or
subscribe NameOfList Your Name.
The subject line doesn't matter. You are sending a command to a computer, so don't put anything else in the message (and don't forget to TURN OFF your signature files when sending this message). You'll receive instructions back on how to post messages to the list. You'll start receiving messages automatically.

Locating Other ListServs:

Universal list of topics:

Hearing-Loss Related E-mail Lists:

Beyond_Hearing: Excellent, supportive, informative list whose members include technology experts, audiologists, advocates, parents, and of course, people living with hearing impairments. Expect about 20-30 messages a day, covering topics from assistive listening devices, hearing aid technology, and cochlear implants to captioned movies, service dogs, and personal experiences. Check out the B-H webpage for more info and to meet members of the group! subscribe beyond-hearing

CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder) subscribe CAPD your name

Cochlear Implant Forum: For people who have or are interested in CIs. subscribe ci your name

Deaf-Hearing Couples (DHC): covers issues common to communicating between hearing and deaf/hard of hearing spouses. subscribe DHC your name

DeafKids: Deaf kids listserv, ages 3-19 only subscribe DEAFKIDS

Deaf_L: Deafness and deaf culture subscribe DEAF-L

Deaf Latinas/os

Deafness Program Administrators subscribe deafadm youre-mailaddress
example: subscribe deafadm

DeafSports: Sports activities in the Deaf community subscribe DEAFSPORTS

EduDeaf: Curriculum, teaching strategies subscribe EDUDEAF your name

MRDEAF-L: Mental Retardation and Deafness subscribe MRDEAF-L

NOISE (Network for Overcoming Increased Silence Effectively): Forum to discuss topics of concern to hard of hearing/deaf medical (human medicine, nursing, dental, veterinary, etc.) professionals world-wide. It is also intended to be a means of support linking hard of hearing/deaf medical professionals.
Contact Danielle at for more information. subscribe NOISE your name

ParentDeafHH: discussion vehicle of parenting issues faced by parents raising children who are hard of hearing or deaf. subscribe PARENTDEAF-HH your name

PEPNetWork Postsecondary Education Programs Network subscribe PEPNETWORK your name

PIN: Postsecondary Interpreting Network subscribe PIN your name

Say What Club (SWC)
Write for information on how to join, or check out their website at Say What Club.

TDI E-Notes Telecommunications for the Deaf announcements signon TDI-L

Terps-L: Interpreters Listserv subscribe TERPS-L your name

Go to top

Glossary of Important Terms

ADA -  Americans with Disabilities Act is the law that protects persons with disabilities.  It includes accessibility of public transportation, telecommunications and access to public businesses and services.

Academic Standards -  The usual indicators of academic ability, such as grade point average, high school rank and standardized test scores.

Accommodations -   For deaf and hard of hearing students accommodations in postsecondary education include communication services such as: interpreters, transliterators, notetakers, captionists, assistive listening devices, priority registration, preferred seating arrangements, etc.

Advocacy - Seeking the rights of a deaf or hard of hearing individual

Assistive Listening Device (ALD) -  auditory equipment used to enhance speech that is of a group nature rather than a personal hearing aid.

Audiogram -  A graphic illustration of a person's hearing threshold.

Audiologist -  Person trained in audiology - a specialist in the problems of hearing and deafness

Auxiliary Aids -  For deaf and hard of hearing students, auxiliary aids include sign language interpreters, cued speech transliterators, real-time captionists, notetakers, assistive listening devices, TTYs, etc.

Captions -  Visual text displayed on a video, movie, or projected video

Cochlea Implant -  A type of amplification that implants electrodes directly into the cochlea in the inner ear.

Essential Functions - What an individual must be able to do to hold a specific position with or without accommodations.

Federally Funded Postsecondary Program - Virtually all postsecondary institutions receive federal funds in the form of student aid, research grants and for other purposes.  Therefore, they must not discriminate against students with disabilities according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

IDEA -  Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1990 guarantees that the education provided to individuals with disabilities will be free, appropriate and public (for elementary and secondary education).

Otherwise Qualified - A person who meets the academic and technical standards required for admission or participation in the education program or activity.

Reasonable Accommodations - Changes that enable a person with a disability to perform essential functions of obtaining a postsecondary education such as providing auxiliary aids and services for communication purposes for deaf and hard of hearing students.

SAT  -  Scholastic Achievement Test

Self-Advocacy -- Understanding and seeking support for one's own personal rights.

Section 504   Part of the Rehabilitation Act that protects the civil rights of people with disabilities in many environments, particularly in college settings.  It reads: "No otherwise qualified handicapped individual in the United States....shall, solely by reason of his handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits or, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal assistance."

Student Responsibility - On the postsecondary level, the responsibility lies with the deaf or hard of hearing student to request for accommodations.  When the student presents documentation identifying their needs, it is the postsecondary institution's responsibility to provide the appropriate accommodations in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

Technical Standards  - All non-academic admissions criteria that are absolutely necessary for a student to complete a program.

Transition  - Making changes and adjustments to differences in location, people, activities and responsibilities such as moving from high school to college.

Go to top