Remote Sensing Questions Chapter 14
- For what types of urban applications do planners, resource managers, geographers, and engineers use
- How are sequential aerial photographs and photogrammetric techniques applied?
- How are vertical stereopairs and oblique airphotos used?
- What mediums are preferred for most types of urban studies and why?
- What is the optimal choice of photographic scale for general examination of large urban areas and what is
recommended for studying small buildings and different types of vehicles?
- What is the problem with using a scale smaller than needed?
- What is the problem with using a scale larger than needed?
- For what uses is a scale of one inch represents 500 feet appropriate?
- For what uses is a scale of 1" = 2 miles most appropriate?
- For what uses is a scale of 1" = 1 mile most appropriate?
- For what uses is a scale of 1" = 0.5 miles most appropriate?
- What does Stone recommend as the order in which photo interpretation should proceed and why?
- What steps for urban interpretation are recommended by the text?
- How can aerial photographs be used for parking and transportation studies?
- What scale is recommended for studying and counting parking spaces?
- How can aerial photographs be used for studying patterns of residential development?
- What is a key indicator of a family's socioeconomic status?
- What are some things that an address can reveal about a person?
- Give some examples of your own.
- What categorizations can be made from aerial photographs about housing quality?
- How can aerial photographs be used for studying urban recreation and aid in its planning and
- What are diagnostic factors that are commonly evaluated to indicate areas of high recreational potential?
- What are some legal applications of remote sensing?
- How might rooftop signs or help indicate industrial use?
- What are some features identifiable because of unique shapes? (This is not just a book question, but a
think about it question!)
- What is usually required for correct categorization of industrial features?
- What do Chisnell and Cole point out in their work?
- What procedures are recommended for categorize an industry from its image components?
- What are extraction industries and what features characterize them?
- What are processing industries?
- What features characterize them?
- What are the three types of processing industries and what features characterize each of them?
- What are fabrication industries and what features characterize them?
- What are the two types of fabrication industries and what characterizes them?
- How can the capacity of a cylindrical storage tank be determined using aerial photography?
- What interpretations are possible using satellite images and photographs for urban studies?
- Describe what Trolier and Philipson were able to distinguish in their study.
- What scale maps did Lo and Noble produce and what level of classification did they achieve?