Remote Sensing Questions Chapter 13
- What is the most widely used medium for engineering studies?
- Identify eight areas in which aerial photographs are used in the engineering field.
- What is crucial to the planning and execution of most construction projects?
- What two factors constrain the suitability of these materials?
- What common technique is used for locating these materials?
- Explain this technique.
- What are most often the photographic scales required for construction materials surveys?
- What is the scale range for the reconnaissance survey?
- What is the scale range for feasible route comparisons?
- In general, what scale is used for a detailed survey of the best highway route?
- What scales are usually adequate for recognizing and classifying landslide, and what scales
are preferable for analysis?
- What scale does Way recommend for identifying landslide-susceptible terrain?
- What scales are used to isolate zones of natural disaster damage?
- What scales are used to render a fairly detailed overview of an area stricken by a natural
- What scales are used to determine the general degree of damage to individual buildings
- What scales are used for direct detection of water pollution?
- What are the most common type of construction materials sought by the engineer?
- For what are they used?
- Relate the availability of unconsolidated sorted and unsorted, stratified and unstratified
materials to the work of running water, wind, ground water, waves, gravity, and ice.
- How would volcanism produce unconsolidated granular materials?
- What four rocks which may be crushed are best as construction materials?
- What are the three phases in the selection of a new highway route?
- What is the basic objective in route selection and what are the criteria?
- What is the purpose of each?
- How do air photos assist in the location of highway routes?
- Identify eleven types of location controls.
- For what are photographs used for feasible route comparisons?
- What are four uses of the airphotos and the topographic strip maps?
- What are the two types of dams and what characteristics generally determine the
- How can air photos assist in determining the feasibility of dam sites?
- How do the bedrock base and abutment rocks influence dam site choice and what rocks
are most suitable and which least suitable?
- Explain why.
- How are time-sequential aerial photographs used after dam construction?
- What characteristics visible on air photos are usually recognizable clues to landslide
- What conditions are favorable to the causation of landslides?
- What are common triggering mechanisms and what role is played by water?
- What are the four basic types of landslides and how do they differ?
- What are the seven slide-formed features or conditions by which landslides are
- What are locations that typically have a potential for landslides?
- Why is panchromatic film, used with mapping cameras, preferred for damage assessments?
- For what five types of assessments are medium-scale photographs useful?
- For what applications are large-scale photographs most used in regards to detailed damage
- Cite at least eleven examples.
- With what are water-pollution investigations concerned?
- What are the principal types of water pollutants?
- Differentiate between point sources and nonpoint sources.
- How can air photos indicate water pollution?
- What kinds of film are best suited for what kinds of water pollution problems and why?
- What is one of the most serious forms of surface-water pollution in the U.S.?
- What causes sulfuric acid mine drainage, where is it most common, what is its effects?
- What industries are particularly noted for thermal water pollution?
- What are the advantages of airborne electro-optical sensors over photographic film for
water quality investigations?
- How can air photos be used to monitor mine-disturbed land?
- What are the three principle methods of surface mining, and what factors influence the
choice of mining method?
- What are three types of open-pit mines?
- Describe the appearance of a deep, open-pit mine.
- Describe the procedure generally used for area strip mining and contour strip mining.
- How does dredging affect the environment?
- How are underground mining and petroleum extraction evident in air photos?
- Discuss the studies published in 1978 by Mamula and in 1982 by Mroczynski and
- What is involved in using air photos to inventory stockpiles?
- What are the advantages offered?