Goals for Laboratory 9
After completing this laboratory exercise you should be able to:
1. Measure stream gradient on a topographic map.
2. Explain stream piracy and identify possible examples on a topographic map.
3. Recognize water gaps and wind gaps on a topographic map.
4. Recognize the influence of differential erosion processes in shaping the topography.
5. Define physiographic provinces and relate them to Cumberland and Jacksonville.
6. Identify and interpret outcrop Vs and compare and contrast them with geologic Vs and contour Vs.
7. Use the topographic map as a basis for geographic analysis of an area.
Equipment Needed for this Laboratory
the Cumberland, MD 7.5 minute series topograpic map
edge of a sheet of paper