Making measurements with maps is a practical skill. It usually depends on careful readings and calculations with the scale.
Use the graphic scale to determine the distance between the indicated points in the units indicated. Remember how to use the edge of a sheet of paper to make these measurements.
1. What is the straight line distance between the water tower at 689600 m E, 4392500 m N and the water tower at 688320 m E, 4390475 m N in miles?
2. What is the straight line distance between the roundhouse at 691725 m E, 4388800 m N and Allegany High School at 690830 m E, 4391730 m N in miles?
3. What is the road distance between the west edge of the map on Route 36 and the intersection of this route with Route 160 at Barrelville in miles?
4. What is the distance of question 3 in feet?
5. What is the distance of question 3 in kilometers?
Continue with the lesson