Qualitative Research (in Emergency Management) EM864
Week 3 Case Studies and Other Methods
Case Study Examples and Other Types
- Merriam, Chapter 3 Qualitative Case Study Research
- Eisenhardt, Kathleen M. “Building Theories from Case Study Research” The Academy of Management Review 14 (4, October 1989): 532-550.
- Baxter, Pamela; Jack, Susan; “Qualitative Case Study Methodology: Study Design and Implementation for Novice Researchers” The Qualitative Report 13 (4, December 2008): 544-559. http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR13-4/baxter.pdf
- Flyvbjerg, Bent; “Five Misunderstandings about Case-Study Research” Qualitative Inquiry 12 (2, April 2006) 219-245.
- Collins, Matthew L.; Kapucu, Naim; “Early Warning Systems and Disaster Preparedness and Response in Local Government” Disaster Prevention and Management 17 (5, 2008) 587-600.
- Gershon, Robyn R. M.; Rubin, Marcie S.; Qureshi, Kristine A.; Canton, Allison N.; Matzner, Frederick J.; “Participatory Action Research Methodology in Disaster Research: Results from the World Trade Center Evacuation Study” Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness 2 (3, 2008) 142-149.
- Mercer, Jessica; Kelman Ilan; Lloyd, Kate; Suchet-Pearson, Sandle; “Reflections on Use of Participatory Research for Disaster Risk Reduction” Area 40 (2, June 2008) 172-183.
- Pelling, Mark, “Learning from Others: The Scope and Challenges for Participatory Disaster Risk Assessment” Disasters 31 (4, December 2007): 373-385.
- Britton, Neil R.; Lindsay, John, “Demonstrating the Need to Integrate City Planning and Emergency Preparedness: Two Case Studies” International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters 13 (2, August 1995): 161-178 http://www.training.fema.gov/emiweb/downloads/IJEMS/ARTICLES/DEMOSTRATING%20THE%20NEED%20TO%20INTEGRATE%20CITY%20PLANNING%20AND%20EMERGEN.pdf
- Eisenhardt, Kathleen M.; Graebner, Melissa E.; “Theory Building from Cases: Opportunities and Challenges” Academy of Management Journal 50 (1, 2007): 25-32.