Photo by Anita Stewart
stripe1
Field Schools Projects About Us More shim

The Chief Ladiga Trail was named for a Creek Indian leader who signed the Cusseta Treaty in 1832. Under the terms of that agreement, the Creeks gave up claim to their remaining lands in northeast Alabama. Because Cheif Ladiga had signed the treaty, he was allowed to select some land in Benton County, Alabama for his wife and himself. (Parts of Benton County later became Cleburne and Calhoun Counties.)
A year after the treaty, Ladiga sold part of his holdings for $2,000 to a group of speculators headed by Charles White Peters. That land later became Jacksonville. Jacksonville, first called Drayton, was established in the early 1800s on the site of Chief Ladiga's trading post. In 1834 the town was renamed in honor of Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States.

After selling the land, Ladiga and his wife moved to the Cherokee Nation and settled near what is now Piedmont.


 


Environmental Policy Information Center
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North, Suite 246 Martin,
Jacksonville, AL 36265-1602
Telephone #: (256) 782-5681...Fax #: (256) 782-5817
pconroy@jsu.edu
All photos on this page provided by Anita Stewart.
Site design by Laurel Design Copyright 2004

 

Link to EPIC Homepage
CLT Welcome
CLT History & Future
Chief Ladiga Story
Donation Information
Chief Ladiga Trail News
CLT Scrapbook
Board of Directors
Contact Us
Rail-Trail Links
CLT Access Points
CLT Map front (pdf)
CLT Map back (pdf)
CLT Profile (pdf)
fieldschool.jsu.edu
JSU logo
NEWS AT EPIC
Bama News

Click on map for
statewide environmental news.