Counseling Services administers a variety of computer-based and traditional paper-pencil format standardized exams to JSU students and the community at-large. Testing services are offered at convenient times in a quiet and comfortable environment. For detailed information about each specific test, please click on the items listed on this page.
The department offers several tests without scheduling an appointment. For walk-ins the testing lab is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.
If I need an appointment how do I make an appointment?
Call (256) 782-5475 or come by our office at 140 Daugette Hall.
What is the cancellation policy?
Click here to see information regarding tests cancellations.
What are the parking regulations for examinees?
JSU's visitor's parking policies and procedures apply to all examinations unless otherwise noted on the test information page. It is important to remember there is no parking on Trustee's Circle. Please review the parking locations or get directions to the testing site by clicking on the JSU Campus Map.
One of these assessments must be completed in order to meet graduation requirements.
- EPP - ETS Proficiency Profile - (Distance Education Students Only) The EPP assesses four core skill areas —critical thinking, reading, writing and mathematics —in a single test. You must have 90+ hrs. (Computer Based)
- CBASE - College Basic Academic Subjects Exam - (On Campus Students) An assessment of students' accomplishments in "general education;" the content focuses on English, mathematics, science and social studies. You must have 90+ hrs. (Paper Test)
- CLA+ - Collegiate Learning Assessment - (if selected by the Office of Planning and Research) It can be taken in place of the CBASE to meet graduation requirements. It is performance based and provides a measure of an institution's contribution to the development of critical thinking and writing skills. (Computer based)
Other Tests Administered
- MAT - Miller Analogies Test - An ability test that requires examinees to solve word analogy problems. Several JSU graduate programs require the MAT as part of the admission process. (Computer-base test)
- CLEP - College Level Examination Program - Provides tests that allow students to earn college credit by taking exams instead of taking the classes if students score high enough. (Computer-based test)
- Residual ACT - Provides prospective students with an ACT score that will be used only by JSU for admission to our university. Test questions will measure knowledge in English, mathematics, reading, and science. (Paper test)
- Math Placement - Used to determine a student’s placement in the mathematics sequence at Jacksonville State University. (Computer-based test)
- Proctored Exam - Proctoring services for other universities, colleges, and entities that utilize distance learning. Instructors located near JSU are expected to administer exams to local JSU students. (Computer-based and paper tests)
- AECTP (formerly APTTP) - Alabama Educator Certification Testing Program - The Reading for Information assessment, Applied Mathematics assessment and the Writing assessment required by The Alabama State Board of Education and ACT for certification requirements. (Paper test)
- ALSPT - Alabama State Personnel Department - Statewide written examinations for various jobs posted by the State of Alabama Personnel Department. (paper test)
- EIPA Written Test and Knowledge Standards - The comprehensive multiple choice test evaluates the interpreter’s understanding of information that is critical to performing with students in an education setting. (Computer-based test)
Tests Required by College of Education
This Spring 2014 Semester, the testing Lab will have extended hours for testing on Tuesdays -Thursdays from 2:30pm- 4:30pm by appointment only. Please call 256-782-5475 to make an appt.
The ACT and CBASE scheduled for 1/31/2014 has been cancelled. New dates announced 2/03/2014.