Jacksonville State University Peer Educators is the local chapter of an international organization known as The Bacchus Network. These students have taken the initiative to offer leadership to their peers on certain issues. Their number one goal is to create a more positive, healthy campus environment.
As an affiliate of The Bacchus Network, the JSU Peer Educators focus on events and activities that meet the specific needs of the JSU campus. They coordinate and publicize events for National Alcohol Awareness Week, Sexual Responsibility Week, and Safe Spring Break programs. The programs and goals of the JSU Peer Educators are:
- Attack myths about college drinking that portray excessive use and drunkenness as a norm.
- Conduct alcohol-free social events in conjunction with educational messages.
- Use the power of peer-to-peer influence as part of the educational process.
- Significantly influence student drinking as it relates to impaired driving prevention.
- Recognize the link between alcohol abuse and other related health issues such as HIV/AIDS, depression, etc. and support a comprehensive peer approach to prevention.
- Support state laws and campus policies and that reduce overall risk to the university and individual students' well-being.
- Engage students in being a part of the catalyst to develope a healthy campus environment.
Adapted from "Your College & University Guide to Involvement in an International Peer Education Initiative"
In the News ...
- JSU Peer Educators Win Awards at Clemson University
- JSU Peer Educators Receive National Affiliate of the Year Award
- JSU Peer Educators Take Five at FSU
- Peer Educators Thank Supporters of Alcohol Awareness Week
- Candlelight Vigil
- Alcohol Awareness Week 2006
- JSU Student Ready to Help on a National Level
- Health Fair 2005
- Arrive Alive 2005
- Alcohol Awareness Week 2005 Presentation 2005
- JSU Peer Educators Program of the Year 2004-2005
- Rickey Naugher, Advisor of the Year '04-'05
- JSU Peer Educators Win National Recognition
Area 8 Program of the Year
Seven Years in a Row!!!
'02-'03 through '08-'09
Meet the Peer Educators and find out why they are involved.
Have a Peer Educator speak to your class, community group, or other organization.
Join the Peer Educators
Get started! Become a Peer Educator!
Health Fair 2009
Health Fair 2008