The Honors Program at Jacksonville State University provides academically gifted students with an enriched educational experience in a diverse range of courses that foster independent, critical thinking and effective communication. The Honors Program helps students fulfill their potential in their chosen fields while preparing them to meet the challenges and responsibilities of becoming citizens with global perspectives.
Honors Program Description
The Honors Program is designed to engage students' intellectual curiosity and develop their skills to think and study independently, creating connections between students and their communities. The main component of the program is the offering of classes that focus on these educational aspects, helping students who are intellectually curious and self-motivated find ways to expand their ideas and perspectives on the world and their place in it. Students may wish only to take Honors classes, but applying to and becoming a member of the full program includes extra benefits. The small classes and other activities associated with the program, including special advisement, career planning, and service opportunities, help to create an interdisciplinary and interdependent community of scholars engaging one-on-one and as groups with each other and their professors, the university, and the wider community.
In addition, Honors Program members will receive special recognition at graduation.
Students may enroll in the full program or a single class. For admission to the full program, complete the Honors Program Application.
A typical Honors student should present the following:
- Writing skills at least adequate to the demand of society at large.
- Evidence of involvement in extracurricular and academic organizations.
- For incoming freshmen
- A high school GPA of B or above
- An above-average ACT/SAT composite score
- An ACT English subscore of 25 or above or equivalent SAT Critical Reading score
- For current JSU students
- A grade of B or above on each JSU Honors class completed
- A GPA of 3.0 or above overall at JSU
- Admission to classes is usually based on ACT/SAT scores. Since test scores may not always provide a complete picture, students may also talk to their advisors and the Director of the Honors Program about enrolling in Honors classes.
- Any student who does not qualify may reapply after completing a semester with an overall GPA of 3.5+ at JSU.
Honors Program Goals and Objectives
The Honors Board, dedicated to offering challenging and innovative academic opportunities, supervises the Honors Program and has set the following goals and objectives for the program:
- To foster critical thinking and intellectual curiosity
- To promote the open exchange of ideas
- To value the strength that comes with inclusiveness
- To encourage innovative and interdisciplinary classroom instruction
- To embrace service and social responsibility
- To prepare students to be leaders in their chosen fields
Dr. Aaron Garrett
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Mr. Andrew C. Green
Director of Enrollment Management
Dr. Gordon Harvey
Professor of History
Dr. Teresa Reed
Professor of English
Ms. Janet Whitmore
Honors Program Coordinator
Ms. Lisa Williams
Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences