Thomas Award for Outstanding Community Education/Service
The Cleo and Carla Thomas Award for Outstanding Community Education/Service, established in the Spring of 1999, is a faculty- administered program designed to honor an outstanding faculty member in their achievements in the area of education or service to the civic community in the Jacksonville State University area. The person selected for this honor will receive an honorarium of $500, a budget of $500 for expenses and a framed certificate that recognizes this accomplishment.
All full-time faculty members are eligible. Nominations by self, students, colleagues, or department heads are encouraged.
Only research activity accomplished during the previous calendar year will be considered for this award. Achievements shall be exemplified by letters of recommendation or other supporting documentation describing the individual's accomplishments from the following areas:
- Devising programs or workshops for the community
- Volunteer activities
- Developing outreach programs
- Involving students in service activities
- Utilizing University resources for the benefit of the community
- Promoting multi-cultural awareness
If you would like to nominate someone, please complete the online Faculty Awards Nomination Form.
Items necessary for nomination include:
- Letter of recommendation describing the individual's accomplishments
- Updated résumé or vita
- Other supporting documentation that may include peer assessment from outside JSU
Nominations are to be submitted to the chair of the Faculty Honors Committee by March 17, 2017. Please direct any questions to the chair.